Completing Him: The Finale



The Completing Him Challenge is over, and Courtney has asked that those of us who participated give a little report on how the Challenge went, improvements we've seen in our marriages, and how we've changed by doing the Challenge.

This summer, many of you participated in the Marriage Challenge. How did it go? How did it change you and how did it change your marriage?

I should say that Wes and I have always had a strong marriage. That doesn't mean we've never fought or had rough times in our marriage. What it does mean is that we have always been committed to each other and our marriage, so when those tough times have occurred, we've weathered them (and some of them were wild rides!) and come out on the other side. Having said that, though, I am always on the lookout for ways to improve my end of this thing we call marriage, and Courtney's challenge was something that was a help to me.

Remembering our courtship and wedding was just plain fun, and they reminded me of the things we loved about each other in the beginning. I really enjoyed listing the qualities I admire about my husband; that post reminded me of all the things I love about Wes, things I knew when I married him and things I've learned in the past 25 years. It was my favorite week of the Challenge! I've always loved cooking for Wes, and it was fun to pick his favorite foods and cook those for him one week. I just remembered I owe him an apple pie though! And kissing him like I mean it? That was fun for both of us! ;) 

While each week presented its own memories and challenges and even conviction in one area or another, the week that convicted and changed me most was Week 3, when Courtney provided a list of things to pray for our husbands each day. I was ashamed to admit that I didn't pray for my husband every single day, and that list of things to pray for him was convicting. We were going through a time when he especially needed my prayers, and the items on that list were things he needed every day. So that week was the life-changing one for me. I am learning to pray for my husband in a whole new way, and to do it every day. 

Week 5 was also eye-opening for me. Courtney had us ask our husbands what their priorities were for us as wives. When I asked Wes that question, he was quick to say that we take each day as it comes and work together to accomplish our goals - he said "We just live." That said so much to me about Wes! Over the years we've learned what the other likes and doesn't like - the secret is living to please each other rather than ourselves. In that post I listed some things that I know he likes to have done, which was a reminder to keep doing - or make sure to start doing them again - the things that say "I love you" to him.


If you've never been to Courtney's blog, Women Living Well, I encourage you to go by and take a look. She's doing what many of us "older women" (I say that with a cringe!) should be doing - mentoring young women to base their marriages on the Bible. You may not agree with everything she says, but who does? Take what you can use and praise the Lord for it!

Courtney, I really enjoyed the Completing Him Challenge. Thank you for the hard work you put into it, planning, posting, then following up on everyone's links. You did a fantastic job!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Modest Dress

Building An Effective Scripture Journal

Meet My Bible