Born Again - Divisive?

Now if you ask me what I am I just say Christian... not 'Born Again', because that's another chink and that's how the separation starts.


I read this quote a while back, and it just amazed me. The person who said it has a Catholic/Anglican background, leans toward becoming a Methodist, and is an avowed ecumenist, by which I'm not surprised. The "chink" spoken of is referring to doctrinal differences that supposedly divide Christians. Though the term "born again" has been used indiscriminately by various celebrities, politicians, and televangelists for as long as I can remember, and probably longer, it is a term taken directly from Scripture, used by Jesus Himself, before the term "Christian" was ever used. In fact, "Christian" was a derogatory name at its beginning. So to discard the use of "born again" and use the word "Christian" to avoid causing division is quite illogical, in my opinion, not to mention anti-Scriptural. Not that I won't call myself a Christian; rather, I won't avoid using the term "born again" when the situation warrants.

I'm a peace-lover. I dislike confrontation. I shy away from controversy. However, I won't back down from a biblical position or terminology just because someone thinks it causes division. So call me "born again" because I am. The Bible says so - even most of the other versions that are available use the term "born again." I know, because I checked it out to see if maybe this person was just using a modern translation and thought it wasn't biblical because their Bible didn't use it. Almost all of them use the terminology somewhere within their pages.

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:3


Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. John 3:7


Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. I Peter 1:23

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:36 PM

    Amen!

    Interesting though that he/she marks this as a point of separation -- because in a sense it is. Those who call themselves Christians without being born again are not Christians. People want to think of Christianity as "inclusive," and it is in the sense that it is open and available for all, but Jesus Himself made the dividing lines that we can't see the kingdom of God without being born again. So it's not that those who call themselves born again are being divisive, as this person seems to think, but, as you said, it is a distinction that Jesus Himself made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, you make a good point. I wish more people understood that the "dividing lines" we stand on are only those that God Himself laid out. Thanks for adding your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Susan. The Bible couldn't be any more plain as day when it comes to this topic. Many label themselves as Christians but many aren't truly saved. Many have never heard of the salvation message and they go to church every week!

    Love from a "born again" Sister in Christ.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well "born again" is divisive-it was back in the days of the early church anyway. Jesus had no problem dividing people, or letting them go when they chose to misunderstand Him and leave. Unity is only valuable when there is truth at the core of it.
    Great post Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, you are so right! I've heard people tell about how they were in church all their lives and never heard the Gospel. That's a sad reflection on the state of "Christianity" in general!

    Great points, Sarah! Jesus did come to divide, didn't He?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Modest Dress

Building An Effective Scripture Journal

Meet My Bible