Fixing My Heart

I've seen the phrase "My Heart is Fixed in 2006" and I like it. I want my heart to be fixed on several things this year, and I'm not talking about needing heart surgery! I want my heart fixed, steady and focused, this year. To "fix on" something is to focus on it, pay special attention to it. There are some areas in my life that I'd like to be fixed on this coming year.

First of all, I want my heart to be fixed on Jesus. I want to be in fellowship with Him minute by minute. I've struggled this year with Bible reading and prayer; I want to re-establish those things more firmly in my life and especially concentrate on Bible study, not just reading. I want to take the time to listen to some preaching online and on tape, to feed myself more of God's Word and His instruction. I want to be able to say with David, "My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise." Psalm 57:7, and again in Psalm 108:1

I also want my heart to be fixed on my family. I want them to be front and center in my life. You know, it's easy to be an at-home wife and mother and not BE at home. Your mind can be a million miles away, in a book, in the TV, on the internet, even in ministry. I want to be HERE. Time is flying by, and I don't want to lose a minute of it. Proverbs 31:27 says that the virtuous woman "looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." She keeps a watch on her family - could we say she fixes her heart on them? I want to look after my family well, and be diligent in caring for them, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Another thing I want my heart fixed on is my health. I have type 2 diabetes. It's not all that bad yet. My eyes are untouched by it, my blood pressure and cholesterol are good . . . I'm just a little too sweet for my own good! LOL I'd like to lose 20 pounds or so, and begin exercising regularly again. It's not too hard to eat right when you have the right food in the house - you just have to keep it there! Many times I will be fixing a meal, and fix the things that Wes and the kids like, but not fix what I need to eat. If they're having fries with their hamburgers, then I just go ahead and "eat just a few." But fries make my blood sugar soar! I figure I'll be alright. But one day, my "alright" days are going to end if I don't get a grip now. If I let diabetes just run its course, I either won't be able to care for my family and help my husband in the ministry, or I won't be even be alive. So . . . it's my responsibility to take care of myself in order to be able to fully live the life that the Lord has called me to. If I'm doing my part and He still sees fit to let me get sicker, then so be it. But I shouldn't get sicker because I've neglected to care for myself. Proverbs 11:17 - "The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but [he that is] cruel troubleth his own flesh." How cruel it would be to my family to not care for myself!

A year from today, I'd like to look back over 2006 and be satisfied with my level of commitment to the Lord, my family, and my health. I'd like to see some changes in my life as a result of focusing on these things. I'd like to see myself grow spiritally this year; I'd like to have stronger relationships with my children; and I'd like to lose enough weight to have my diabetes fully under control. I hope that you have some things your heart is fixed on for 2006, and that you are strengthened in your inner man to accomplish those things. Have a successful new year!

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:28 AM

    I really like the verse you selected...and GREAT POST, Susan. Very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too want to do better with my Bible reading and prayer. I was able to finish my Bible plan this past year, but my prayer life needs help.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Modest Dress

Building An Effective Scripture Journal

Meet My Bible