A Mother's Function

I don't remember where I found this or what it's called. I re-discovered it yesterday in an old journal. It's in a section of quotations, and I wanted to share it here. I'm sure you've probably seen it before, but when I first found it, my children were still small and it made a profound impression on me.

To be Queen Elizabeth within a definite area,
deciding celebrations, labors, banquets, and holidays;
To be Sears within a certain area, providing toys, boots, cakes, and books;
To be Aristotle within a certain area, teaching morals, manners, theology, and hygiene;
I can understand how this might exhaust the mind,
but I cannot imagine how it could narrow it.
How can it be a large career to tell other people's children about the rule of three
And a small career to tell one's own children about THE UNIVERSE?
How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone,
And narrow to be EVERYTHING to someone?
No, a mother's function is laborious not because it is minute,
but because it is GIGANTIC.
~~ Author Unknown ~~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Modest Dress

Building An Effective Scripture Journal

Meet My Bible