Where Do You Turn?

This morning I read the heartbreaking story of a chartered bus from the Houston area that caught fire in south Dallas county. The bus was carrying elderly evacuees fleeing Hurricane Rita, ranging in age from 79-101. Several of them had oxygen tanks, and as the fire spread, the oxygen tanks began to explode, killing 24 people. My heart breaks as I think of the manner in which these people died and the grief their families have been plunged into.

I hate tragedy and death. Sometimes I just plain old don't understand why things happen the way they do. My heart becomes heavy as I review all the devastation from Hurricane Katrina and the way people responded to it and to each other. Now another hurricane is approaching, in the same general area and almost as strong as Katrina. Earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, disease, violence . . . if you dwell on it, you'll go crazy. Where do you turn?

As I thought on these things this morning, a still, small voice spoke within my heart, "Don't forget that I know what's going on." Our times are in God's hands; He sees the whole picture. I can only see this tiny snapshot of eternity that I'm living right now. But God is my refuge, my help when my heart is troubled. How can the unsaved make it during hard times? Where do they find the kind of help that soothes the soul and quiets the mind? Praise God for His Comforter within my heart!

Psa 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Psa 46:2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Psa 46:3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
Psa 46:4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
Psa 46:5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
Psa 46:6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
Psa 46:7 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
Psa 46:8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
Psa 46:9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
Psa 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
Psa 46:11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Modest Dress

Building An Effective Scripture Journal

Meet My Bible