Reflections on Our World Today

This morning's terrorist attacks in London brought to my mind once again the fear that we all felt on 9/11, when terrorists attacked in New York City and Washington, DC. I was very scared that day, but today I simply felt sadness that it's happening again.

As I was getting dressed this morning, I was listening to news reports on TV. The reporters here in Canada were talking about how safe the transit system is in the Vancouver area, and one of them said that the feeling of safety here is just an illusion of safety, that a terrorist attack could indeed happen here, just as it could in any city in the world - and does in many places - we are so blessed to live in relative safety in North America! I began thinking about what the Bible says about putting our trust in man.
Psa 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

Psa 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Pro 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.
I realized this morning that because I'm saved, my life and soul are in the hands of the Lord. Nothing can separate me from His love and care, so that I can confidently say that I am "not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh." (Proverbs 3:25) Now, I'm not foolish enough to think that I'd be overjoyed to be hurt or killed in a violent way, or that I wouldn't be afraid at all, but I can live my life with the assurance that whatever happens, I'm safe. I can take reasonable safety measures, and have a reasonable trust in the government and public safety officials, but my ultimate safety comes from God, and He's the One I trust completely.

The Bible tells us that in the last days, the earth will be filled with violence as it was in the days of Noah. We should expect it more and more. If we look at the world around us, we'll grow increasingly afraid. But if we look to God for safety, we can go about our lives serenely trusting Him, knowing that His will is being worked in this evil world and that our redemption draweth nigh.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims in London tonight. I pray that God will comfort their hearts somehow, and that justice will be brought against the terrorists responsible for the bombings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Modest Dress

Building An Effective Scripture Journal

Meet My Bible