Friday, November 04, 2005

One of Those Days

I had one of "those" days today. Well, actually, just this morning. One of "those" mornings, I guess. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for 10:00 this morning for the wart on my thumb. This was with the skin specialist that my family doctor referred me to. More on Dr. Specialist in just a minute. I also needed to have my routine 3-month fasting blood glucose tests done, so I decided to combine the two, since the two offices are just two doors apart. How convenient!

Since my appointment was at 10:00, and it's a 20-minute drive, I left the house at 8:20. Plenty of time to have the blood work done, walk across the street to get something to eat, then back again for the skin specialist. I woke up extra hungry this morning, wouldn't you know it? Anyway, I started down our street, which is a main road down the mountain to the bridge that crosses the harbour into Vancouver. There are only two bridges over, this one and the more famous Lions Gate Bridge that feeds into downtown Vancouver. So as I start down the road, I notice that the bread truck in front of me slows down. Then he stops, then inches forward. We do this for several minutes, so I'm thinking there must be an accident down the hill. I turn on the radio to see what the traffic report is saying. The first words of the traffic report are that it's still packed on the North Shore - something's going on up here! Hmmmm . . . the report is that there are picketers at the north end (where we are) of both bridges off the North Shore. Picketers. During morning rush hour. What thoughtful human beings these are! I'm all for peaceful protest and freedom of speech, but this is just totally inconsiderate to block a bridge during rush hour! Long story short . . . a ten-minute jog down the mountain and across the bridge turns into an hour. I left the house at 8:20 and crossed the bridge at 9:25. By then the protestors were gone, of course.

Now I have 35 minutes to get to my appointment. Shift to Plan B. Go to the appointment first, then have the blood drawn. I get to the specialist's office by 9:45 and right into the examining room. The doctor comes breezing in, takes a quick look at the wart, and announces that we can do one of two things: use liquid nitrogen to burn it off, or use an over-the-counter medicine at home. The liquid nitrogen treatment is not covered by the health plan and is $30 per treatment. Treatment time varies. It could take two sessions or it could take five, depending on how the wart responds. So we're talking anywhere from $60-$150. I opt for the OTC treatment - $13.00 from Shoppers Drug Mart. I felt a little foolish that I'd gone to a specialist just to have him tell me the name of an OTC remedy and that I could come back in 3 week if I want to. I don't even have to go back. He seemed kind of impatient that he was having to deal with a plain old wart, but I didn't ask to see him; my doctor referred me to him. Oh well. I got the stuff he recommended, Soluver Plus. He said it will take several weeks of faithful application. Nobody ever told me it takes a long time to get rid of a wart, or I wouldn't have given up on the Compound W a year ago!

By the time I'm finished at the specialist's, it's 10:30, and I walk two doors down to have my blood drawn. I now have a card that I can use to go in every 3 months and have these same tests done without having to get a doctor's order for them. If there's a problem with any of the results, he will call me. I really like that, because I don't have to schedule appointments and follow-ups or call in to find out results. No news will be good news. I just hope I have good news this time! My eating and exercise haven't been the greatest this quarter.

I got home at 11:00 and immediately began fixing lunch! I was famished! I've been eating 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day, and I guess my body had gotten used to that. All day I've felt out of sync, like I need to eat, eat, eat. I ate a few fries at supper tonight, and had some sugar-free candy this afternoon. Fries are a no-no for me, but I have a hard time resisting them. I rarely get the candy because I get that sweet craving again. I feel stuffed now. Sigh.

Beth and I got haircuts today. She got about 4 inches cut off and her hair is still just past her shoulders. She also got bangs again; she switches back and forth with them, growing them out, then getting tired of them. We're in bangs mode again. I just got a good all-over trim. I desperately want to try a new style, but I'm just as afraid of a new style as I am desperate to try one! I've had this same basic style for about 20 years, but the truth is, when my hair has a good cut, this style really suits me well. I'm just hoping this little trim will give me some new pizzazz.

Enough about my day! The boys will be home tomorrow night and life will return to normal again - whatever that is. We are just two weeks away from our SC trip! Full speed ahead!


  1. Hi Susan, I DO enjoy hearing about your day. The way you write makes me able to picture everything happening just like you describe!

    Wish we were going to be in SC at the same time so I could meet you in person! I'm leaving next Friday to make a whirlwind trip to see my sister in Greenville SC and her new doggy. (It's a 6-hr drive.) My husband will do some handy-man work for her while we're there. But we won't be around at Thanksgiving when you're visiting.

    Hope you have an enjoyable trip. Are you driving? Flying? Have fun.

  2. Oh, Deb, it would be so nice to meet you! We'll actually be closer to Spartanburg, up around Campobello. My folks live in the foothills there, right up next to the NC line! It's gorgeous! We'll be driving to Seattle, the flying to SC and back. That's quite a long trip to make in the car for such a short amount of time. I'm still not looking forward to traveling, but being with family is worth it.

    Can't wait to see what your sister names her dog. Make sure you tell us! And enjoy your trip to SC.


Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

I'm Moving

No, we're not moving again! After almost 10 years of blogging in the same place, my blog is moving. My new address is www.susanhutc...