Friday, December 19, 2014

My Quilty Adventures

As I mentioned in my 15 Before 2015 post, I am working on a fun little quilt on Instagram with Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet. There are some days that I don't get to work on it at all - although I'm trying to be organized enough to get at least a few minutes of sewing each day - but on those days I do, I get two or three blocks done. Here's a glimpse of the blocks I have done so far:

House, Christmas Tree, and Mug

Gingerbread Cookie

Vintage Lights, Candle, and Twinkly Star - and a candy stick added to the mug!

Ornament and Basket (basket still needs a heart appliqué)

Gift and Spools, with 4 of the blocks already joined
The final two blocks: wreaths and a stocking and candy. There will be red bows on the wreaths.
I had a bit of a problem with the String of Lights block. Each of those lights has little triangle corners in each corner, and every time I make triangle corners that small, they get distorted, causing the block to come out crooked and/or too small. The blue one in the third picture above is my second try at this block, and it's still wrong. It won't fit above the cookie and mug up there on top. So I made another one last night, and it's going in the quilt no matter what! LOL I am done with that block.

I'm still hoping to have it done by Christmas, but that hope is growing dim. Beth is home, and the boys and Juliana will get here tomorrow night, so my crafting time will be limited. But I'll push through a little and see if I can finish it. If not, it'll be ready early for next Christmas! ;)

Are you still working on Christmas crafts, decorations, cookies, shopping (I still have a little shopping to do!)? Leave a comment telling me what you're doing this weekend before Christmas!

10 comments:

  1. It's looking great! I love all the different blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The variety of blocks really makes this a fun quilt to make!

      Delete
  2. Those are so cute! I *think* I have all the shopping done. Just got done cleaning house today and my oldest is coming in tonight. I still have some wrapping to do. I have been waiting for everyone to get here before I do any baking so I don't eat it all. :-) I haven't done anything crafty this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on not baking till people are there! Beth got home Thursday, and we still haven't done any baking yet. The boys & Juliana will get in tonight, church tomorrow, and well bake Monday!

      Delete
  3. Still have bits and pieces of a few gifts to finish up. My hubby has been home for the past couple days due to weather-related issues with his work, so yesterday we finished up the shopping (mostly for gift containers and a few kitchen gift ingredients) and today he has been baking up a storm. He made gingersnap coconut cream sandwich cookies, eggnog oatmeal cookies, chocolate mint crisps, and layered chocolate peanut butter fudge. There are still a few more cookies/candies we want to make. Still have a bit of decorating to do too, but it's mostly wintry type things like snowflakes and glittery houses ... stuff that would stay up all winter.

    Sunday we will be having our Sunday School gift exchange (we draw names) and doing some caroling to shut-ins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have things under control! I don't feel like I do, but they're not seriously out of control, anyway. Enjoy all those yummy baked things!

      Delete
  4. Those look neat! I'm not a sewer, but I did pick my crochet hook back up a few months ago. I actually crocheted gifts for my immediate family this year. I've decided that it was so much fun I want to do more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your family will live their gifts! isn't it fun to make stuff? I'd love to do more handmade gifts next year. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see the finished pictures! I can finally get into my sewing closet after our move so there should be some good sewing times coming in the new year. Next time you have to do half or quarter square triangles cut the squares a bit bigger than the patter calls for and after the block or section of the block is completed, trim it up to correct measurements. I have terrible times with triangles, and an entire quilt top of blocks that don't measure up right because of them - I discovered this tip too late. :( I did try it on a couple of the last blocks and it worked out beautifully. Have a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan. You can tell that I'm waaay behind on reading blogs. I lost ALL MY FEEDS. Bloglines has been down!! And it's still down. So I'm now set up on Feedly reader...not sure that's where I'll stay, but at least I can catch up on blogs after they were all transferred over (wouldn't want to miss a giveaway!!!)

    I got Lori's book Quilty Fun for Christmas...I'm not on instagram so guess I'll just figure out the patterns myself....whenever I do get started.

    I gave my two daughters both a quilt kit for Christmas and told them either I would make them a quilt this year OR they could do it...whichever they wanted. One is ending up being a work-on-it-together mother/daughter project, and the other one she wants me to do it all. So I'll have plenty to keep me busy this winter.

    Love your quilty fun Christmas quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin