Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Keeping Our Focus on Jesus: Weeks 1 & 2

I started the Women Living Well advent study, Keeping Our Focus on Jesus, on December 1st. I expected it to be all about the characters of the nativity story - Mary & Joseph, Elisabeth and Zacharias, Anna & Simeon - but instead, it's been more about the promises of God, His love for us, and our joy in Him. It's been fantastic! There's still time to download the study and join in; we've just started week 3. Even if you only get this week and next in, I believe it would be beneficial!

I had planned to share something with you each week, but the past two weeks got away from me without my doing that. So I wanted to take the time now to share with you one thing from each week that especially spoke to me.

My morning coffee with my Bible study
:: From Week 1, Wednesday:

The Scripture passage was Jeremiah 33:14-15. In verse 14, God says, "I will perform that good thing which I have promised . . ." That statement caught my attention right away! God always keeps His promises (II Corinthians 1:20)! As I thought on some of the promises I claim for myself, my heart became joyful:

  • Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13
  • Him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
  • Call unto me, and I will answer thee. Jeremiah 33:3
  • If any man lack wisdom, let him ask of God. James 1:5
  • If we ask anything according to his will, he heareth us. I John 5:14
  • Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Matthew 7:7

These are just a tiny amount of God's promises! What a blessing that we can claim all of them with the assurance that He will keep them!

:: From Week 2, Tuesday:

The Scripture passage on this day was Mark 12:28-30. The basic gist of the passage is that we are to love God above all else, and this is the commandment from which all other commandments flow. Every part of my life should stem from my love for God and my desire to please Him - my relationships, my money, my hobbies, my time. When I choose to please God in these areas and others, I am loving Him with my whole heart. It's simple, really, but so hard to put into practice!

Are you doing any special study this Christmas season? Share some things you're learning, or share some promises you're claiming right now. 


1 comment:

  1. Great post Susan. Beautiful promises!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin