Monday, December 01, 2014

15 Before 2015

About a year ago, I began reading the blog Marketing Creativity by Lisa Jacobs. She has an amazing drive and talent for coaching small-business owners on running their businesses, backed up by a successful Easy shop which enabled her to work full-time from her home.

Each year, Lisa publishes Your Best Year: Productivity Workbook and Creative Business Planner. I bought it last year, but never really worked all the way through the book. This year, I resisted buying it because of last year's failure on my part to do the work and put her principles into practice. But I just couldn't resist! I bought the printable online version, which is the same as the hardcopy edition, and began filling in the exercises to hopefully have 2015 be one of my best years, both personally and in my small creative business, VintageGrace.

One of the exercises Lisa encourages is to list the unfinished business for this year that, when finished, will enable you to begin the new year with a clean slate. She calls this list 15 Before 2015, and you can read Lisa's list on her blog.

I thought I'd share my list with you of 15 things I want to accomplish before 2015. That's 30 days away! That seems like too little time to accomplish anything, but I think I'll be able to do all of these, with the Lord's help - and maybe a little help on some of them from Wes! ;)

15 Before 2015

  1. Downstairs living area decluttered and organized (this is where we've been staging our vintage items for selling at two antique shows in the past 5 weeks - I'm ready to reclaim my house!)
  2. Curtains put up on all the windows (we have blinds, so we do have privacy, and several people have said they like the "clean and simple" look of just the blinds, but I like the softness and warmth of window treatments!)
  3. My sewing/craft room decluttered and organized for efficient work
  4. Complete Good Morning Girls advent study, Keeping Our Hearts Focused on Jesus
  5. Finish reading Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World by Michael Hyatt
  6. Read Smart Organizing: Simple Strategies for Bringing Order to Your Home by Sandra Felton
  7. Draw up a basic plan for 2015 ladies' events at church
  8. Get the blog section of my new website ready for publication (yes, I'm working on having my own site with my own web domain - I have no idea what I'm doing, but I want to work toward having my blog and shop all on one site!)
  9. Finish some secret sewing I've been working on for way too long (I'll reveal that when it's safe to do so!)
  10. Finish Lori Holt's Have Yourself a Quilty Little Christmas quilt, a Christmas sewalong for Lori's Instagram followers (there are 15 blocks; I've finished 3, while Lori and many of her followers have finished all the blocks, sewn them together, attached the border, and are ready to attach the label on Monday - I'm just a little behind!)
    My first 3 blocks 
  11. Catch up on my Rose Hill Lane Block-of-the-Month from Shabby Fabrics (in my defense, the first two blocks arrived while I was away on our trip, and the second two arrived shortly after I got home, so I do have a reason to be behind on those!)
    Block 1

    Block 2
  12. Lose 5 lbs. (I fell totally off my Diabetes Miracle eating plan over the course of this year, and as a result, regained 10 of the 12 pounds I lost - my blood sugar shows it too - so I intend to do it again and keep it up in 2015)
  13. Clear the house of the carbs I don't need before January 1st (all the kids except Beth will have come and gone, Christmas will be over, and it will be time to get back on The Diabetes Miracle: 3 Simple Steps to Prevent and Control Diabetes and Regain Your Health . . . Permanently)
  14. Spend the week of Christmas totally focused on family time with our children (this requires having my Etsy shop caught up and my house ready for Christmas; I'm using FlyLady's Holiday Control Journal to help me stay on track with the house)
  15. Choose a Bible-reading plan and two Bible studies to complete next year
So that's my list of things to accomplish before 2015. Are there some things you'd like to accomplish before the new year? Share some in the comments, or better yet, share them on your blog and let us know in the comments here!

3 comments:

  1. I love your quilt blocks! I am saving this kind of planning for after Christmas - I wouldn't have time to work on any major projects until after then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara! I want to get the Christmas quilt finished before next Monday, when our ladies' Christmas fellowship will be at our house, but if I don't, it's no big deal. I am saving my planning for 2015 for after Christmas. These are just things loose ends I want to tie up before the new year starts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilt blocks! I have always wanted to quilt and have actually started one and felt overwhelmed and quit. I'm thinking a block of the month may help me get started.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin