Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Let It Snow!

Hello, sweet readers! I hope you're all doing well today!

First, I want to thank you all sincerely for your outpouring of encouraging words and prayer after my post on Saturday about all the things that are overwhelming me right now. This whole year has been like that! And that's how life is, a series of cycles: smooth sailing for a while, then some rough waters, then smooth again. It's been such a busy year that I'm enjoying this season of relative rest. We're not going anywhere (that I know of!) till May, when Beth graduates from college, and there are just the usual events planned for church and family between now and then. So thank you, thank you for your kind words and thoughts the past few days! I'm doing much better, praise the Lord!

One of the big events of this year was our move out into the country, about 15 minutes outside of our town of Kelowna, BC. We absolutely love living in the woods where it's quiet and peaceful. Our house is old enough to be a little quirky but new enough that we have running water and electricity and all that!

Although our new home is only 15 minutes from town, that short drive is all uphill, and by the time you reach our house, the elevation has risen about 1,000 feet. And that higher elevation makes a little difference in the weather up here. For instance, in the summer it's a few degrees cooler up here. We get more rain, too. And something we get here that residents in town don't always get is . . . snow!

Last night, we had snow. A whole foot of it in one night! For this southern girl, that's exciting! I think there have only been a couple of times in my entire life I've seen this much snow at once at my very own house! Here are some scenes from my windows early this morning:

Looking across the neighbours' pasture from our back door

From my sewing room, which faces the front of the house. You can see the snow piled on the roof of the porch and Wes's tracks when he left the house this morning.

Another view from my sewing room, this time on the side of the house, facing a small creek in the woods

From the sewing room, back into the woods

This is where the deer come down out of the woods to get to the little stream beside the house. You can see some tracks in the snow. I love this view!

Another view of our front yard. See the road down at the end of the driveway?

From one of my kitchen windows

That is not a snowman! It's a little birdbath/fountain!

From the window over my sink. This is my view as I wash dishes. See the horse corrals back there on the left? Our neighbours have 3 horses.

Our deck. Those tall lumps in the back corner are flower pots that I didn't put away. They look like they belong in Whoville!
So how's the weather where you are? Do you have snow? Do you enjoy the snow, or would you rather do without it? Leave a comment and tell me what's going on in your neck of the woods!

3 comments:

  1. We have snow! About 8 or 9 inches or so right now and it's still snowing steadily. Our winter storm warning doesn't expire until tomorrow morning at seven.

    I enjoy looking at it; it's pretty. I loathe driving in it. This is a very slippery snow. So I do enjoy the snow if I don't have to drive in it. Being outside in it is okay, but not driving. I would be happy if we had just enough snow to give us a white Christmas (when the proper time comes) and maybe just enough so that the kids who love to sled and ski can have some fun in it. On second thought, our state and area depend upon tourism, and the ski industry is a big part of that, so ... let it snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on looking at it but not driving in it! I do have to go out today to see a new baby, though. Our youth pastor and his wife just had their 3rd little girl!

      Enjoy your holiday, Mrs. T!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. I think it is pretty when it is coming down, and I don't mind of if I don't have to go anywhere and if the power doesn't go out. :-) But with balance issues, I am pretty much housebound when it is snowy and icy. As you know, the Southern USA isn't equipped to take care of the roads well when it snows. Thankfully my husband grew up in Idaho and can drive in it well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin