Saturday, November 22, 2014

I'm A Mess!

Hello, my sweet readers! Thank you for your patience these past four weeks since we returned home from our trip of a lifetime. I still plan to get posts written and pictures posted of that trip, but I just have to be honest with you.

The past month, and the past two weeks especially, have been emotionally exhausting for me.

I'll tell you just a bit about the past two weeks. On Thursday, November 6th, a friend and I set off for Spokane, WA, to attend the Inland Northwest Ladies' Gala. We had a great time there, seeing friends we may only see that one time a year and listening to my favourite conference speaker, Mrs. Francie Taylor. Although I'd just come home from a long trip - which meant lots of relaxation time - I still felt in my spirit that I needed revival. I got that during that ladies' conference, and I came home refreshed spiritually, but worn out emotionally, for personal reasons.

The day I returned home, November 8th, was my dad's 70th birthday. My family and I posted on Facebook, praising my dad and telling how much he means to us. In one posting my mother made, she mentioned that Daddy wasn't feeling well, after running a fever all week. I had talked to him earlier in the week, so I knew about the fever, and I was surprised it was still present. So that weighed on my mind. Mother said he would go to the doctor on Monday if the fever wasn't gone.

Then, my uncle (my birth mother's brother) commented to wish my dad a happy birthday, and mentioned that his brother, my Uncle Bob, was in the hospital and starting chemo the next day. Chemo?! What was that about???

So now I have two men I love who are sick - and I don't know what's wrong with either of them!

On Sunday afternoon, my mom texted that she was taking my dad to the emergency room. His fever had risen, and the nurse at the doctor's office said take him right away to the hospital. At first the doctors could find no infection, but in the course of running tests, they found a blood clot near his spleen. A blood clot? I had just lost a childhood friend the month before to a blood clot! You see how these things preyed on my mind? One thing after another.

Long story short about my dad, they put him on IV antibiotics and blood thinners, and on Friday of that week he was able to go home, feeling much better and well on his way to recovery. Praise the Lord! He is still fine, and scheduled to resume his normal activities next week.

Last Monday, I was thinking I needed to call my uncle to find out what was wrong with my Uncle Bob and see how he was doing. I made a note to call him that evening. Late that afternoon, though, my cousin (Uncle Bob's son) called me on my cell phone. I knew immediately that this was not good news, because Jeff never calls me. And I was right. This was not good news. My Uncle Bob had passed away just a few minutes before. For the first time, I learned that my uncle had been diagnosed with leukaemia just ten days earlier. Doctors had tried chemo, but it was not working at all, so they had sent him home to make him comfortable. He'd had several good days, but on Monday, he woke up very ill and became progressively worse during the day.

This was such a shock to me! I hadn't seen this coming, and I felt like I'd been slammed against a brick wall! Honestly, all week I've found tears just running down my face. I've seen my uncle's face a thousand times in memories, and I've remembered things that were forgotten years ago.

Today, Saturday, was Uncle Bob's funeral. My dad and mom went, and I'm so thankful they could do that. It made me feel that a part of me was there with my family. But my heart still hurts that he is gone. Already. Way too soon.

I'm just trying to be honest with you. I am zapped. I need to get over this hurdle. I will get back here and post those pictures, but I just haven't been able to put my heart into it. Thank you so much for your patience.

Please pray for me if the Lord brings me to your mind. Thank you!

17 comments:

  1. Susan, I will lift you up in prayer this whole day....I have been quite comforted by your writings here over the years and wish to thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Eileen! Your encouragement helped a lot, and thank you for your prayers!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, Susan. I'll keep you in prayer this week. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! You're a blessing!

      Delete
  3. (((Hugs))) I'm sorry, a lot of highs and lows to go through in a short time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were a lot of highs and lows - and I forgot to mention that my niece had a new baby the day after my uncle died. She's a sweetheart!

      Delete
  4. Oh Susan, I'm so sorry! I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle and the ordeal with your Daddy. I'm very glad that the dr.s were able to take care of the clot. Take it easy, spend some time with the Lord and we'll see you when you get back!! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tori! Your words were a comfort to me! I'm hoping to be back posting soon.

      Delete
  5. I sure will be praying for you my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami, that means a lot, knowing everything you've gone through! Thank you, my sweet friend, for praying for me!

      Delete
  6. Dear Mrs. Hutchens, my heart goes out to you. It's a lot to go through in such a short period of time. At the beginning of this month, my husband told me that it will be a hard one and that we need to pray a lot. I see it has been hard for many people. May the Lord be your comfort and strength.
    Love and prayers,
    Luba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Luba! You sure are a blessing to me here and on Twitter!

      Delete
  7. Susan, I will be praying for you. I am so sorry to hear about your uncle's passing, and so thankful that your dad is going to be okay. Keep your eyes on the Lord -- He is in complete control and He is good .. all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. T, I know I can always count on you to be praying! Thank you so much! You always point me right back to Jesus. You're a blessing, my friend!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabiatha! I sure do appreciate it!

      Delete
  9. Will lift you up in prayer. I know how it feels to be over whelmed with so many things. I know the Lord is with you for comfort. Remember Jesus had to get away and rest. Take some time to rest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin