Friday, November 28, 2014

Advent Bible Study: Keeping Our Hearts Focused on Jesus

This holiday season I'm doing something I've never done before: an advent Bible study. I didn't even realize there was such a thing online until last year, when I saw about halfway through December a post by Mrs. T of Across My Kitchen Table. She was participating in an email list Bible study, and it roused my curiosity. But it was already half over, so I decided to wait till this year to investigate it.

Advent-Ebook1.pdf
This week I came upon a link to the Women Living Well study for this year, Keeping Our Hearts Focused on Jesus. This study is free, and it's in ebook form, which you download onto your computer or tablet, and you can even print it out. I downloaded mine onto my iPad mini and opened it in my Kindle app, where I can easily read it every day. I think I'll print out the actual study pages, but not the activities included, and put my study in a notebook. It would be just as easy to type in my answers as notes in my Kindle.

The study is four weeks long and includes some holiday recipes, a weekly devotional, daily family activities, and a daily (Monday - Friday) Scripture passage with study prompts to help you dig a little deeper into the Word. And that is what I like about it: you do the digging and you get the benefit of studying God's Word yourself! The study prompts are in the form of the SOAP method of Bible study (please note I have not investigated this link; I've only given you the page that explains the method. Please give me the benefit of the doubt if you dig deeper there and find something that is doctrinally wrong): Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer, with no commentary - just your words on the paper.

I plan to do this study with a friend, comparing our findings each day, beginning on Monday, December 1, to help sharpen each other. She is not married and I have no children at home, so neither of us will be doing the "family" type things. And - this is a bummer - I probably won't make any of the yummy-looking recipes either, since I really shouldn't eat things like cinnamon rolls. But that's ok! We will use it to dig deeper into the Bible and turn our focus on the Lord at this special time of year! Although I won't share every day with you here on the blog, I will occasionally share some things I'm learning throughout the month. And just so you know, I won't be sharing my friend's  thoughts with you - her study is only shared with me!

Have you ever done an advent Bible study? Want to join my friend and me on this one? Leave a comment!

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Women Living Well or Good Morning Girls. I simply found this study online, thought it would be good, and wanted to share it with you!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't do the family activities or recipes when I did the study, either, Susan, but as you noted, that in no way diminishes the benefits of the the study.

    I found it very, very meaningful to do an advent Bible study -- I had never done so prior to last year. It really did help me keep my focus where it belongs in this busy season -- on the birth of our Savior and God's plan in sending Him.

    And I highly recommend the SOAP method of Bible study. I started using it last year when I did my first GMG study, a Thanksgiving one. I now use it nearly every time I want to dig deeper into a passage.

    When you do the occasional post on your advent study, I plan to chime in on the comments and share some of what I learned last year. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning this. I will look into it. I don't remember if I have ever done an Advent Bible study before - not with anyone and not online, for sure. I like to do some kind of Christmas devotional reading, so this may be a good one. I've read the Women Living Well blog for a well and have never found anything doctrinally I'd disagree with so far, though I may not agree with every little point of application - but that is probably true for almost any site. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin