Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My Sister's Courtship, Part 2

Yesterday, I posted the first part of my sister's testimony of waiting for the right man to come along. Read on for part 2 - the actual courtship!

"So, after all those years on the mission field, we finally came home and one night in November of 2011, my family and I were at a revival meeting at a nearby church. I saw Travis and immediately recognized him. I don't know how. It had been almost 20 years! I remember thinking "WOW! He grew up into a FINE looking man!!" He was big, muscular, black headed, had on a suit, and I made up my mind that I was going to speak to him that night, but he left before I got up my nerve.


"I sent him a friend request on Facebook and explained who I was. He accepted but I got no response.
Almost 2 years passed. I watched his Facebook profile all the time and even though I had other male interests off and on, I could never get over wanting to know more about him. I figured he didn't like me and wasn't interested. I later found out he had a girlfriend. But I quit seeing anything about her on Facebook after a while. That excited me! hahaha No more girlfriend! 


"I tried to comment on his photos and get a conversation started but he never would talk. I just kinda gave up after a while. But right after I gave that other situation to God, I got a strong urge to speak to Travis first, just come right out and say "Hey, how are you?" and start and conversation. I didn't want it to just be the loneliness in me so I thought about it a lot and sought counsel from several people. But when I finally asked a mutual friend about him, she confirmed that then would be the perfect time, and all the things she told me about him were everything I wanted. I think I knew from right then that he was the one!


"So, I started "plotting." hahaha Mom had a great idea. She was also friends with him on Facebook. She said, "Let me invite him over for supper!" She did, and she also told him she had someone who wanted to meet him. He said, "Let me check my schedule." I took that as a maybe, and I was okay with maybe. It was progress! Two days later he said hello to me in a private message! That was July 14th, 2013, and we have been inseparable ever since. 


"Travis is absolutely everything I ever asked God for! He is even the same age as me. We got to celebrate our 29th birthdays together while we were dating. Travis loves God, loves his mother and treats her like a queen, knows how to dress, loves to sing and play guitar, loves the outdoors, is super caring and giving, loves children and animals, funny, makes me laugh all the time. He even loves broccoli and Cheerwine as much as I do! Our similarities are so many that it's crazy! Yet, we're different enough that we balance each other out.



"God is SO good! I cannot even tell you how thankful I am to Him and thankful that I waited! Travis proposed at Dollywood on the bridge under all the Christmas lights on Dec. 23rd, 2013. We set our wedding date a couple of weeks later and were married on March 28th, 2014. It was a fast courtship, but we knew we were meant to be together and we had both waited quite a while.


"Married life is the best! We can't wait to see what God has in store for our future! Thank you to all who participated in our wedding. Everyone was such a BIG help! I couldn't have done it without you! It was a fairy tale wedding!!!


"Oh, Daddy gave Travis the key to my heart at our wedding. That was SO special! It had not been out of the safe in all those years and Travis opened the envelope and read the message I had written on it on the way to our honeymoon destination. That was a very emotional and sentimental part of our ceremony that I will forever cherish!

"Another thing is that, after joining Pleasant View (Baptist Church) in 2007, we drove past Travis's church every time we went to church. We passed his parents almost every Sunday morning, waved at them and then talked about them and their family as we went on to church. Sometimes I even talked about Travis and how I wanted to meet him. What we didn't realize was that we were passing Travis too, we just didn't know it because we didn't know what kind of car he drove. So for the past 7 years I had been passing the one God had for me three times a week and never knew it! That baffles my mind."

I'd like to thank my sister, Rebekah, for being willing to share her story with you. Come back tomorrow, when I will share a compilation of video clips from the wedding!

 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Susan that was presented so well. I never thought about the fact that we had been passing Travis and his mom and dad for 7 years. All I can say is Proverbs 3:5,6,7.

    Mother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mother! It was all Bekah's words. I just put them on here! Love you much!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet story! I enjoyed reading both parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious testimony of God's goodness and Rebekah's faithfulness in waiting for "the one."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin