Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Hello From Our New Home!

I'm sorry it's been so long since I last posted an update here. Life just went crazy after I got home from my sister's wedding, exploding with all the normal stuff, like church and home duties, in addition to moving our church to a new location and moving ourselves into a new home. Something had to give, and unfortunately, one of the things I had to lay aside was my blog. I hope you understand!

This was the first morning in our new home, April 22nd. Snow! The elevation here is higher than in town, so winter is a bit longer up here than there, even though it's only a 15-minute drive!

So. We are all moved into our new home. And we love it! We are living in the country, along with the deer, horses, birds . . . and mice. I stored a small bag of sweet potatoes under the kitchen sink, never even thinking that the holes for the pipes were big enough for not only the pipes themselves, but tiny little mouse bodies. After about four days, I pulled out my bag of sweet potatoes and found this . . .


Yes, there was a mouse getting fat on my potatoes! So Wes got some mouse traps and caught a mouse two nights in a row. Then he bought some steel wool and filled those holes! I'm happy to report we haven't had problems with mice getting in since then. But . . . we have heard scurrying in the walls occasionally. The last time we heard the scurrying, we also heard some gnawing going on. All night long. So Wes went to Home Depot and bought some of those ultrasonic rodent deterrents that you plug into the wall. The pitch of the sound waves is supposed to drive away rodents. I was skeptical, but I really didn't want something chewing through a wall or pipe or whatever is in the walls, and I really didn't want it to get in! Those little things have been plugged in for several nights now, and we haven't heard one scurry or chew. I sure hope those things are working and it's not just a fluke!

This is much more our kind of weather! Wes is grilling on our deck for the first time. It's still ehilly in the early mornings and evenings up here, even at the end of May. I'm hoping this bodes well for summer.
Wes kept noticing something hitting the window in his study and discovered it was hummingbirds. We can't figure out what they were after, but we did set out a hummingbird feeder on our deck. I saw a hummingbird at it within a couple of days, and now they are visiting regularly! I love hummingbirds, and I'm hoping we'll get a large group of them coming. Our landlord, who lives just up the hill from us, says that his wife has several feeders, and every year when the birds come back north, she gets buzzed outside on their deck until she puts the feeders back out! Most everyone in this area puts feeders out, so the little hummers have a feast every summer.

And speaking of birds, there seem to be hundreds of them around our house! I'm slowly learning various birds and their characteristics. We've had to remove two robins' nests from the electrical box on our front porch. The robins are fat and saucy around this yard. I've also identified an evening grosbeak with its jolt of bright yellow on its head. And I think I saw a black-capped chickadee the other day.

We're also enjoying watching the horses. They have much more personality than I would've imagined. They are in the corral and pasture just outside my kitchen windows, so I have plenty of opportunities to watch them. I've seen them rolling in the dirt, jumping around from what appears to be the sheer joy of jumping, making wild dashes into the rain and back to the corral again, nipping at each other, lying down and relaxing, and stretching (I had no idea horses stretched!). Occasionally the owners will take two of the three horses for a ride, and the one left behind has plenty to say about it - he will neigh and whinny and scream till they get back! And then he acts like it's no big deal that they're back. Totally amazing to me! LOL

The neighbors, or at least two of them. There's one more light tan horse. The green in the foreground is the pasture that runs right beside our deck.

I'll be back tomorrow with pictures of the house, both before we moved in and now that we're settled a bit. Decorating is going to take some time, but I have a few pictures up here and there. The biggest blessing of this house is how much like home it feels. Since moving here, I've realized just how uncomfortable I was living in a condo, even though I was perfectly content while we lived there. I'm so glad the Lord saw fit to answer our prayers for a house in the country!

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you're enjoying your new place, we just got moved into a new place as well. I really don't like the re-settling process, but like you we feel much more at home in this new place. It's great to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't like anything about moving or settling in! LOL I'm hoping we don't have to move again for a long, long time. Congratulations on your new place, and I hope you continue to enjoy it for years to come!

      Delete
  2. We live about 15 minutes down from Show Low Arizona. It can snow here and not in Show Low, so we know how much difference just 15 minutes and 500 ft can be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really been amazed at the temperature difference up here. We're still a bit chilly in the mornings and evenings, while in town, everyone is opening windows and doors to cool off a bit!

      Delete
  3. So happy for you, Susan! What lovely surroundings God has blessed you with -- and a house that feels like home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. T!!! We sure do love it!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin