Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Principles For Making Wise Decisions

Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap a character
Sow a character, reap a destiny
~ Stephen Covey ~



Much of life is made of little choices: what to wear, what to eat, what time to go to bed or get up. We don't agonize over these choices, because they are "little." They don't really affect anything other than what's going on that day, do they?

The quote above, by Stephen Covey, is one that our former pastor in Texas loved to repeat. Our decisions begin as thoughts. Those thoughts become actions. Sow an action long enough and it becomes a habit. Habits define character. And character determines destiny.

So yes, even the little decisions are important!

Over the next few weeks, I want to cover some principles that my husband included in a recent sermon on making wise decisions. These can apply to supposedly small decisions, such as what to eat today, or to the ones we realize are the big decisions, like buying a home or getting married. I hope you'll join me! Here are the topics I'll cover:

Will This Decision Violate Scripture?
Will This Decision Cause Offense?
Will This Decision Harm My Body?
Does This Decision Contradict God's Will?
Does This Decision Truly Glorify God?
"Multitude, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision."
~ Joel 3:14 ~

photo credit: `James Wheeler via photopin cc 
I added text and special effects to this picture under a Creative Commons license

2 comments:

  1. I can not seem to get the last 2 topics on Making Wise Decisions. Are they just not done yet.
    Thanks Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I finished the series, but I forgot to update my links. I've updated them now, so you should be able to see them. Also, if you ever need to find something that you just can't seem to find, you can run a search on the blog. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin