Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Making Wise Decisions: Does It Harm My Body?


Most decisions we make will be small ones, but I'm convinced that many of them are sowing the seeds of undesirable destinies. How can we make good decisions, so that we're living lives of order, balance, and peace? Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be sharing with you the basics of making sound biblical decisions.

Does this decision violate my body as the temple of the
Holy Spirit?

Another principle to consider in making decisions is whether or not the intended action is harmful to my body. This one gets up close and personal! As I've studied it, I've been convicted about some of my own small decisions, especially about the things I eat. Surely what I choose to eat each day doesn't matter! But with this principle, I believe that it does.

There are many decisions we could make that would be harmful to the body, from the types of food we eat to illicit sexual behaviors. Again, we need to search the Scriptures and determine if the action in question is either against Scripture and/or offensive to a brother in Christ.

This third principle is scripturally supported in I Corinthians 6:19, 20: "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

Our bodies belong to the Lord; He bought them! This principle guides many of my decisions concerning what I will put into my body, such as alcoholic drinks, illegal drugs, tobacco products, and so forth. Here lately, I've been learning what grains and sugars do in my diabetic body, and I'm becoming more convinced that I should limit those as well. This is another area where principle is our guide, and many people will come to different conclusions about a variety of issues. My concern is with myself though (Romans 14:4), and my husband and I have our own family to consider. We want to keep our bodies pure and clean, from our innermost thoughts to our outward appearance, as the dwelling-place of the Holy Spirit.

This principle can also apply to getting enough sleep, enough exercise, proper food, enough water, reading and watching appropriate entertainment, listening to Christ-honoring music . . . so many areas we can test against the principle of our bodies belonging to God!

So when you're faced with a decision, apply this principle: will this violate my body as the temple of the Holy Spirit? Many times, He will let you know within your spirit whether or not this is a good idea. Let Him guide you!

Missed part of the series? Find all the links to the entries in my introductory post!


photo credit: `James Wheeler via photopin cc 
I added text and special effects to this picture under a Creative Commons license

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin