Friday, January 17, 2014

My Word For 2014

I know. It's already January 17th, and I'm just now getting to my beginning-of-a-new-year type posts. But once you see what my word for the year is, you might understand a little better why it's taking me so long to get these entries written and posted.



Last August, Wes and I attended family camp with several sister churches from the southeastern region of British Columbia. The theme of the speaker's messages each night of the week was Finding Balance in the Christian Life. I hadn't known this was the theme, although Wes and Beth were both leading devotions, so they knew. When I sat down in the chapel that first evening, I had no idea that the Lord was about to work in my heart in a way that would begin to change my life.

As the pastor spoke each night on finding balance in our lives, I knew this was intended for me. You see, my life had been terribly UNbalanced for years. I was trying to blog, have an Etsy business, keep house, take care of my husband, be a mom, be a pastor's wife and teacher, and keep up my walk with the Lord  - all in my own strength and within my own will. What should have been my lowest priorities, which I considered urgent, had been placed ahead of things that weren't screaming for my attention but were far more important than sitting in front of a computer. And you know how your car drives when a tire is out of balance? Kind of a whump, whump, whump feeling? That's how my life felt.

I made some decisions that week to begin implementing some practical actions that would help bring my life into balance, but it didn't take long to forget those things in the busyness of life when we got back home and into ministry and real life. I soon found myself terribly out of balance again.

As the year drew to a close, I realized I had to make some changes that would lead to more balance in my life. Our trip to California gave me some opportunities to think more deeply about how I want to spend my time in light of eternity, how I want to be remembered by family and friends, and what I want to hear from the Lord when I stand before Him.

I'll talk more about those changes later, but the word I wanted to have describe 2014 is

BALANCE
I bet you didn't see that coming, did you?!

This week, the same pastor who spoke at Family Camp is here at our church, teaching the same series of lessons to our church family. Now the principles are more familiar, and the Lord is confirming in my heart that this is the way He's leading me . . . to a balanced life. I hope to be sharing many of the things I'm learning, and I hope you'll stick around as I learn balance this year! Thanks for reading!

"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."
Ephesians 5:15,16
 photo credit: hyperboreal via photopin cc

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great word to focus on for the year. I hope you have great success as you go forward through this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So neat how the Lord has led each of us individually to choose the same word for this year, Susan! It will be great to be able to pray for one another in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, looking forward to more! God Bless. Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think finding balance is challenging for everyone, but especially for those in the ministry. Praying this will be a wonderful year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies, for your comments! The issue of balance in the Christian life has become very popular, I think in part because we were told for so many years, “We’ll rest when we get to Heaven!” I do believe in working hard, especially in the ministry. But I’ve seen too many pastors or their wives fall by the way because they’re just can’t do it anymore, or their children want nothing to do with the ministry because their parents were too busy with it to pay attention to the children. Wes and I firmly believe that those in the ministry have to learn that balance. And our culture reveres “busy” so much that everyone struggles with finding balance. Thanks again for leaving great comments - and thanks for your good wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin