Friday, January 31, 2014

Friday's Fave Five






I'm joining Susanne at Living To Tell The Story for Friday's Fave Five, where we take a few minutes to remember five blessings of the week, big or small, and share them with you!

I had a little different kind of week, because Wes went to Lancaster, CA, this week for our daughter's 21st birthday, and I stayed home. I always enjoy a few hours alone, but when it comes to more than just a few hours . . . not so much. So my first blessing is . . .

1. Wes' safe trip to California and back. It really is amazing that we can travel so quickly and easily! He flew down on Monday afternoon, spent two days down, then flew back Thursday morning. He used air miles for the flight, so that cost very little. When I was a little girl, flying was a big deal - but now it's just a way of life. Amazing!

2. A safe place to live. We live in a condo, so I have a secure parking garage and a couple of locked doors between me and the outside world. That's a huge blessing when my husband is gone for a few days. I wasn't afraid to come in alone at night - although I'm still watchful and alert, of course. Notice that I didn't broadcast to the world that my husband was gone until he was back!

3. Coffee with a friend. When one of my friends learned I'd be alone this week, she invited me for coffee one evening. We enjoyed a couple of hours at our favorite Starbucks. It was fun to have a girls' night. Wes asked if we solved all the world's problems. We did not, but we sure gave it a try! ;)

4. Good deals. Not only did I go out for coffee on Monday evening, I spent Monday afternoon shopping! I found two tote bags/purses at Sears, on clearance for $6.99 each with an extra 40% off that price. I've been looking for something a little more stylish than the computer bag I've been using for my Wednesday night classes at church, and both of these fit the bill. I also found a new belt and some red slippers. My total was less than $30.

5. Our youngest child and only daughter turned 21 this week. I already wrote about her on her birthday, but I want to praise the Lord once again for the blessing our daughter is in our life. She's a keeper! :) Here are some pictures of her special day . . .

Playing mini-golf with Dad



The whole family together for birthday dinner



14 comments:

  1. I bet Beth was thrilled to have her Dad visit for her birthday. Isn't it nice to spend time with friends AND get to shop? Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said it was her best birthday ever! Of course, the picture I didn't include in this post is of her and a certain young man who tagged along . . . he might or might not have had something to do with its being her best birthday ever! LOL

      Delete
  2. i enjoyed your faves list. Happy birthday to your pretty girl My oldest daughter will be 21 in July....and hopefully home from Gordon College to celebrate with us! :) I love coffee dates with my girl friends....and my husband was traveling this week too although due to the ice storm in Atlanta, he got stuck and although supposed to be home Wed evening, he JUST arrived home tonite (Fri). Enjoy a restful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes for our girl! That ice storm down there was crazy, wasn't it?! I'm glad your hubby made it safely home, even if it was 2 days late. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. How nice that your husband could go to California for your daughter's birthday. Glad you felt safe at your condo while he was gone. Glad you found a great bargain. I love bargains!! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and Beth both enjoyed his being there - I'm glad he was able to go! I don't go shopping too often just for the fun of it because there usually aren't many good deals up here. Now I do love to shop in the States just for the fun of it! ;)

      Delete
  4. A certain young man, huh? Sounds interesting. Sounds like you actually had a nice week. Hope you have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes . . . that time has arrived! A young fella has come to call. Wes got to meet him this week, and I got to "meet" him via Skype on Friday night. We both like him! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Laura! Have a great week yourself!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to your girl (and she lives fairly close to me).
    I'm glad you got those alone days--I do love them, but am always happy when the traveler returns.
    You're smart to have a safe and private parking spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat that you live near my girl! She loves it down there (all my kids do). It sure is warmer there than here in the winter!

      I do love those days that I have some time to myself, but I'm sure glad to have my Honey home!

      Delete
  6. Good deals are awesome and you certainly did well with your shopping spree.

    It is a blessing to feel safe where you live. Although I live in an apartment complex, I also feel safe here. This is a blessing since I come home (many evenings) in the dark.

    Belated happy birthday to your daughter. My son turned 31 on the 17th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good deal! One of the ladies at church saw one of my bags yesterday and wants me to get two for her. She lives in another town that doesn't have a Sears.

      I do enjoy the fairly safe aspect of living in a condo. I don't care a lot for the noise, though. We have some partying neighbors just above us who like to get started about the time we go to bed.

      I can't imagine my kids in their 30s yet - but I'm looking forward to all their years and seeing how the Lord blesses and uses them! Happy Birthday to your son!

      Delete
  7. So glad your daughter had a wonderful birthday and that your husband got to be there to enjoy it. And glad you got to enjoy some coffee with a friend, shopping, and relaxing while your husband was away. As a military wife my husband is away a lot and it's definitely good to fill up your time when they are away. Though now when he's home, I always feel that he should leave every month or two, at least for a weekend! Funny how you settle into a way of life... :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was in the Air Force for 10 years. He was in computer programming - back before everybody had a computer in their home! - so he wasn't deployed and didn't have any remote tours. He did get sent to week-long trade shows and training sessions, though, and I used to just about die when he had to go. My good friend, whose husband was also AF, encouraged me to find some hobbies and find some things to do when he was gone, to take my mind off the fact that he wasn't there. It worked! Now I actually enjoy getting to do some things that I never do when he's home, like reading in bed as long as I want to!

      It IS funny how you get locked into a way of life. I chuckled when you said it feels like he should leave every month or two!

      Thanks for dropping by and taking a minute to comment!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin