Monday, January 13, 2014

Beginning the New Year

We're back! On New Year's Eve we left cold Kelowna, BC, for sunny Los Angeles and Lancaster, California to visit our children. We spent a week there with them and enjoyed spending extra time with each one.
Our view of Mt. Rainier from the plane as we left Seattle

Our trip included Disneyland, where Wes and I realized we aren't anywhere near as young as we used to be! Disneyland was crowded, with that being the week between Christmas and the beginning of school - I don't know why we didn't think about that - so the lines for some of the more popular rides were 2 hours long! We tried to get Fast Passes for several, but by 8:30 in the morning, the most popular ones were already out of Fast Passes, so we had to either not go on that ride or wait in the long line. And 2 hours for a 1-minute ride is a bit much,even though we endured it for Space Mountain! But we enjoyed lots and lots of time with the kids, talking or playing games or just watching the people around us. Wes and I were totally worn out by the end of the second night, and it took us a whole day to recover from those two days at Disneyland. That's a new one on us!

All of us at Disneyland, waiting to ride the Indiana Jones ride. We had all 4 of our kids, plus one of Beth's friends and the boy Andrew is mentoring. At the front are Wes and me; next are Beth's friend, Megan, and Juliana; behind them are Beth and Sam; at the back are Andrew and Day. I think Wes won Day's heart by feeding him hot dogs and funnel cakes! ;)

We were excited to attend church at Lancaster Baptist Church for the morning and evening services on Sunday. Since all four of our kids are members there, it's always nice to see friends we've made and be a part of the services there. Sunday night was the church's Vision Night, where Pastor Chappell presented his vision and goals for the church in 2014. Wes especially enjoyed that, as he got to see first-hand all that another pastor has in his vision for his own church. Of course, Lancaster is way bigger than our little church, but there's always something you can learn, right?!

Wes and Sam playing video games on Sunday afternoon. This has been a favorite with them for all of Sam's life!

In addition to visiting our children, we also got to visit my uncle, aunt, and cousin who live near San Diego. On our second day at Disney, we took off around lunchtime and met them about halfway between Anaheim and their hometown for lunch. I didn't know my cousin was coming, so it was a special treat to see her and catch up on her life. We don't get to see extended family very often, so we wanted to make sure we saw our loved ones in the area while we were down there. We laughed a lot, looked at pictures on our phones (isn't that the greatest invention ever?!), and talked about all kinds of things. Like a bar of Ivory soap at the foot of your bed relieves nighttime leg cramps. It's true. I can't explain it, but there are multiple testimonies that it works. One of them being my aunt's! I now have a bar of soap at the foot of my bed.

Here I am with my Aunt Shari, Uncle Buddy, and my cousin, Lee Ann

We've been home a week tomorrow, and I'm just now getting back in my groove. Does it work that way for you too? I wish I could just jump right back in with business as usual!

Sunset on our last evening in LA. Wes and I had dinner on the waterfront. It was a beautiful evening, warm enough to eat on the patio. When we landed back home in Kelowna, it was snowing!

We loved the start of our year! I hope 2014 has been good for you already. I'll be back later this week with a list of books I hope to read this year, some of my goals for the year, and the
One Little Word I've chosen for 2014. See you soon!

5 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, but it sure is good to be home again!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like such a fun time! I think Disneyland would wear me out, too. It does take me a while to recover from trips. It even took me a while to recover from Christmas week here: even though we were home, we had a few outings and events, and meals and dishes and such are more involved with more people. I loved the week, but I was hit by a wave of tiredness when it was over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, I thought I was just going to sit down and cry the second night, I was so tired! Wes and I slept till 9:00 the next morning (after going to bed a little after midnight), and we still felt sluggish all day. We didn’t start to feel normal again till Sunday, then we had to travel again on Tuesday. So our tiredness lasted till well after we got home. Wes has a nasty cold now that has him wiped out, but he’s trooping on! You’re so right, too – even holidays at home take some recovery time!

      Delete
  3. So glad you had such a wonderful time with your family! We were able to get away for Christmas and visit with both of our families, and had a wonderful time. Yes, it always takes me a little while to adjust to being home again and getting back into the swing of things. This year was a bit rougher than usual as we all got sick as soon as we got home, so that first week was horrible. We're adjusting this week and things are just about back to normal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin