Friday, December 27, 2013

Friday's Fave Five


I'm joining Susanne at Living To Tell the Story for Friday's Fave Five. Each week, we share five blessings we've enjoyed during the past week.Hop over and take a look at others' blessings, then share some of your own!

Good Morning! Or afternoon, depending on where you are, I suppose. I'm a little late getting my post up today. It's been a full week, which means each day is full, so I've struggled to find time to write and/or plan blog posts ahead of time. Here are some things I'm thankful for this week:

1. Christmas, of course. We are so thankful that our Saviour was willing to leave the glory of Heaven to be born in a humble stable and live among men in order to give His life for us! The observance of His birth, although we know it was not on December 25th, gives us the opportunity to slow down and reflect on all that He has done for us, and we're grateful for this one special day a year to devote totally to celebrating His birth!

Part of the nativity scene I acquired this year - one of my most-favored Christmas decorations now!
2. The blessing of family. Wes and I were alone on Christmas morning for the second year in a row. I admit I did shed a few tears over our children not being able to come home, but I continue to count my blessings, knowing that our children are serving the Lord where they are and that the only reason they weren't here is because they just couldn't - not because there is a problem between us or that they didn't want to come home. We talked and texted with each of our children (Sam and Juliana were with her parents in TN, Andrew divided his time between 3 or 4 different places in the Lancaster area, and Beth was with a church family there in Lancaster), and we talked to each set of our parents. What a joy to be able to communicate with our loved ones even though we couldn't all be together!

This picture was made in May, but it's the most recent one I have of all of us together.

3. Gifts from our church family. Wes and I have a strict no-expectations policy between us, in that we do not expect gifts and things from our church family. We have a wonderful group of people, though, who so generously give to us from their hearts. We received several gift cards this year from different families and individuals, I received a gift from some of my Patch Club children, and our church as a whole gave us passes for Disneyland for our trip to California next week! We are so grateful for each person who attends our church and how they enrich our lives! The ministry is people, and we love these people the Lord has blessed us with.

4. Time with friends on Christmas Day. We spent the second half of Christmas Day with several of our church families. One family invites those who don't have family nearby to come to their house for Christmas dinner. We all bring food and desserts, we eat and talk and play games - and then eat some more - and make each other our family for the day. It was great! I played Apples to Apples for the first time, and I think I've found a new favorite game. Lots of laughing with that one! 

5. The promise of a new brother-in-law! Y'all, my youngest sister, Rebekah, is engaged!!!! She and Travis have known each other as acquaintances for years, but over the summer, they kind of discovered each other, liked what they discovered, and fell in love. Rebekah and Travis are in their late 20s, and each of them had determined to wait on the Lord for the right person. Now they are reaping the blessings of waiting for God's perfect timing! I've never seen Rebekah so beautifully confident; Travis has brought out the beautiful woman she is. I'm looking forward to their wedding - and meeting Travis - in the coming year. You can read a little more about Rebekah here, here, and here, and more about our unusual family here.
My December Daily posts are trickling down to just one every couple of days. We're getting ready for the New Year, planning and preparing for our church's calendar, and we're getting ready to travel. Next week we're heading down to southern California to spend a week with our children! I hope you've had a wonderful Christmas season and that your new year will be a blessed one. See you again soon!

9 comments:

  1. When I was reading about 'Lancaster', I wondered if it was Pennsylvania or California since I'm from SoCal and my brother in law and his family live near Lancaster in Acton! I hope you will enjoy Disneyland! On Monday we'll be at Legoland with our grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I should clarify that when I was writing, then hit Publish and let it go without going back to it. Yes, it’s California. Our children have attended West Coast Baptist College there, and now our oldest is an instructor at the college and our younger son works at Lancaster Baptist Church in the graphic design department. Our daughter is a junior in college this year. We get down there usually once or twice a year.

      Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have fun at Legoland!

      Delete
  2. What a great list of blessings! I share most of them here as well. Merry Christmas Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debbie! I'm glad you have lots of blessings to share to! Hope your holidays have been great!

      Delete
  3. congrats to your sister! How nice that you will see your kids in the next week even though you couldn't see them for Christmas! Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanne! My sister is super excited to have finally found the love of her life. I've been married 29 years (since right before Bekah was born!), so I'm so pleased to see her find the right man and enter her own marriage.

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan! I haven't been by your blog in so long. I just want to wish you a wonderful New Year. I really enjoyed learning of how the Lord has lead your kiddos to serve at West Coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pam! Thanks for stopping by again. Thank you for the New Year wishes, and the same to you. The Lord has been good!

      Delete
  5. Hi Susan! I'm woefully behind in visiting you, but thank you for joining in with the Five Faves. I'm glad you will get to see your kids, even if it's not exactly on the 25th! And many congrats to your sister. How fun to welcome a new family member this way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin