Tuesday, December 03, 2013

December Daily: Making Little Gifts

In addition to the Quilty Fun Sew Along, I've been making some cute little hostess gifts, too. I'm making small quilted coasters, via Lori Holt's Bee In My Bonnet coaster tutorial. They're super easy and they work up quickly, so you can make a whole bunch in just a short amount of time. I cut all my pieces first, then they just go together in a snap. Lori suggests using charm squares (5"x5" squares of fabrics from one line), but I have so many pieces of various fabrics that I just cut my own. Here's a sampling of what I made this weekend:


I used these as gifts for our ladies at the Ladies' Christmas Party last night. Each lady chose two coasters - or candle mats, in this case - and a mini candle from Bath & Body Works.


Just a few of the designs. I love the pink and brown ones the best!

I assembled the mats and candles in a basket so they could just walk by and choose their own.



The other gift I'm working on is this Christmas Table Ensemble. The pattern is written to make three separate items, but I'm making two of the long table runners.

I haven't quite finished the second one yet - still have the binding to finish!

I had some pre-cut fabric triangles from several years ago that I got free when I ordered something else. I tried making something from it back then, but my experience working with triangles was zilch and I couldn't make them work in the pattern I had chosen. So I put them away until a few days ago, when I wanted to find something quick and easy to make for some hostess gifts. I found this pattern and began sewing the triangles in between each coaster - and in no time I had enough half-square triangle sets to make my two table runners. I used a tan tone-on-tone fabric instead of bright white to make the look a little softer, and I love this combination! I have decided to keep one of these and use the other as a hostess gift. I'll probably be making more of these as hostess gifts, and at least one of the big square table toppers for myself.

I'm linking up with Randi at i have to say for Show and Tell Tuesday. What do you have in the works this week?

IMG_6373

Day 3 Scripture: 
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." ~~ John 1:1-3

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been busy using up scraps. Great idea. Love your runners too.

    PS, thanks for sharing the verse for today. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love to use scraps! :) The verses are part of my December Daily feature for this month. I'll have a passage each day all the way through Christmas! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Those little coasters are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! They seemed to be well-received last night!

      Delete
  3. These coasters are so sweet, Susan! What a nice little gift they made with the mini candles. I love making coasters *and* using up scraps. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed making them, and now I'm hooked on scrappy sewing! LOL

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful and thoughtful gifts to gift to friends! Your table runner is coming along beautifully! Triangles can be tough (matching so many points in straight lines!), but you've done beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee! I have a horrible time matching up triangles - you just can't see it so much in these pics! I figure if I make more I get to practice more, which should help, right?!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing the link to the coasters. At under 5" one would fit into a greeting card for a birthday or two for an anniversary! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a great idea! I never thought to mail one!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin