December Daily: Friday's Fave Five


I'm joining Susanne at Living To Tell the Story for Friday's Fave Five. Each week, we share five blessings we've enjoyed during the past week.Hop over and take a look at others' blessings, then share some of your own!

1.Yet another Christmas party, this one for my Patch the Pirate Club students. We didn't have a lesson, practice a song, or listen to a story, but we had treats, games, and a craft. And now we have a break! We're taking the next two weeks off from Patch Club - and this teacher is grateful!

2. A Christmas quilt. I found this quilt at the thrift store last spring. I love the colors in it (they match my craft room), so I've been using it on the bed in there until this week, when I realized it would look great hanging over the back of the love seat in our living room. I'm really enjoying seeing it all through the day as I work around the house.


3. Pain relievers. A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis in my right shoulder. Since my original visit to the doctor and a little physical therapy, it hasn't bothered me very much. But yesterday morning I woke up and couldn't move the entire right side of my upper body without pain. I told Wes that if pain meant I was dying, I was dying. Enter Aleve. Within half an hour I was moving more freely and without as much pain. Today I'm sore and still a little stiff, but the pain is better. This getting old thing is rough! ;)

4. Dates with my honey. On Thursday nights we usually end up at the local auction (there's that getting old thing again), and last night was no exception. There was a particular item we wanted to bid on, but the starting bid was higher than we wanted to pay. That was all we were interested in, so we left after that item ended. We stopped by Starbucks on the way home and had coffee and shared a cookie. It was nice to just slow down, look at each other, and talk for a few minutes! A date doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate - coffee and a cookie can be magical!


5. Genetics. I find family traits fascinating. The other night I was looking for old Christmas pictures from my childhood when I came across a picture of my maternal grandfather when he was a young man. I did a double-take when I picked up the picture: he looked strikingly like my second son, Andrew, who is 22 years old! My grandfather died when I was 3, so I don't have any memories of him, and most of the pictures I'd seen were of him as an older man. I knew my son favored my mother's side of the family, but this picture just amazed me. And made me happy. I don't remember my grandfather, and my mother passed away when I was 16. Seeing their traits in my son is like a gift to me!


Day 20 Scripture:
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger." Luke 2:11, 12

Comments

  1. I love quilts too. I use one all the time that I found at a yard sale - for $10! It is hand embroidered, too. I don't know how the family could let it go ...

    Dates don't have to be expensive to be special. I'm glad you had time out with your honey.

    Merry Christmas, and thanks for sharing the scripture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jerralea! I love finding good deals at yard sales and thrift shops! The quilt in the picture has a tag on it that says Made by Mom, and I was so amazed that anyone could send a quilt their mom made to the thrift store. I guess I'm just too sentimental! ;)

      Merry Christmas to you, too! The Scripture is part of each day's post this month, through the 25th. I hope to see you again!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:07 PM

    What a neat find that quilt was! It is hard to believe someone could let it go. I love simple but meaningful dates. That is so neat about your son looking so much like your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quilt! I'm also enjoying looking at my picture of my grandfather and my son and seeing all over again the family characteristics I recognize that others probably don't see. A couple of my cousins have some similarities with Andrew too. So fun!

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely quilt. Very Christmasy colors! Hubby and I enjoy simple dates too. It's good just to get away from the house and do something together. Your son does look amazingly like your grandfather. Nice to "see" you again and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susanne! I keep the quilt on our guest room bed year round, but I brought it into the living room for Christmas - and I'm enjoying it so much!

      Merry Christmas to you, too! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Modest Dress

Building An Effective Scripture Journal

Meet My Bible