Tuesday, December 10, 2013

December Daily: Church Christmas Party

Last Friday night we had our Church Christmas Party. This was a new experience for us this year. We usually have a party for the adults, one for the teens, and one for the children, but this year Wes decided we'd combine all that and just have one family Christmas party to free up everyone's time for the rest of the month. It turned out to be a fun time, with lots of noise and food and coffee and hot chocolate . . . you get the idea!


We started at the church, where our youth director's wife and I had decorated earlier in the day. We kept it simple this year, with a snowman and snowflake theme and simple table decor. We used giant foam snowflakes as centerpieces, then placed a candle on each one and sprinkled varying sizes of foam snowflakes in dark blue, light blue, and white down the middle of each table. We used snowman tablecloths for the kids and a calmer snowflake cloth for the adults. It was easy to decorate and easy to clean up - which was good, because we left the church after we ate and got back around 9:00 to clean up. Nobody wanted to spend a lot of time undecorating, so I'm glad we had gone simple!


Everyone brought a couple of appetizer dishes and a dessert. All the ladies prepared their special dishes and appies for this - I made my Cranberry Bliss Bars - and I think we ate pretty much everything we brought! I didn't see any food going to waste, anyway.

Veggie Christmas Tree
Melted Snowman Cookies
Cake Pops


We ate and fellowshipped at the church for about an hour, then we boarded a bus and drove around town to look at Christmas lights, with a stop at Tim Horton's along the way for coffee and hot chocolate. We have some more well-to-do neighborhoods around town, and many of their light displays were just fantastic! The kids' favorites were the ones with the most lights and twirly things, of course, but my favorites were the simple ones where the homes were calm and peaceful with simple white lights. Some of the finer homes were just beautiful with their simple displays!

This is the last picture I got. As I snapped this one, everyone yelled and put their hands over their eyes and Wes said to stop taking pictures??? Something about the flash?

We returned to the church after a couple of hours, with tired children and more tired adults. We all pitched in and cleaned up quickly and headed home. I think the family Christmas party was a great idea. I hope we do it again!

In case you're wondering why I use so few pictures of people at our church events, it's because we have several families who don't wish to have their pictures on the internet. I try to get lots of pictures of people to share with our church family, but I hope you understand that I can't share them publicly!

Day 10 Scripture:
"And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed. And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city." ~~ Luke 2:1,3 ~~

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun party! Ours is always for the whole church family and features a gift exchange of small gifts -- we draw names a couple weeks ahead of time. I love the idea of the bus tour of Christmas lights. It wouldn't work here, but sure sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to be able to do a small gift exchange, but I also hate to add more expense to an already tight time of year. Even with just a small amount of money, large families would add up the cost quickly. It would be fun though!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a party for everyone rather than splitting into groups. And I like the cute simple table decorations as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure enjoyed it, and the more simple decorations were a welcome relief from having to plan and then work for hours to decorate more elaborately! Everyone seemed to have a great time.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin