Friday, November 15, 2013

Getting to Know Juliana


Last time I visited with you in August, I told you Sam and Juliana were coming. They did indeed come, and we enjoyed them so very much! We especially enjoyed getting to know our daughter-in-law. Because they met and dated in California, we only saw Juliana in person a few times before she and Sam married. We knew about her from Sam, Andrew, and Beth . . . but there's a difference in knowing about someone and actually getting to know them in person! So I thought I'd introduce you to the girl we got to know in August. I think you'll like her! ;)

She liked my homemade pizza!

:: She is completely comfortable with who she is and with who others are. I've always struggled with self-consciousness, so I notice  and admire a person who is comfortable in their own skin, so to speak. Juliana is definitely comfortable with herself. She isn't cocky or arrogant at all, but she isn't afraid to be herself. When she got sleepy watching a movie, she went to sleep on the couch. When she wanted to be quiet, she was quiet. When we were playing a game, she gave her father-in-law just as hard a time as he gave her! ;) She wasn't constantly worried that she had to be or do anything; she was just herself. She wasn't self-conscious at all - which makes her others-conscious - and I admire this quality in her so much.


:: She lives her faith. I had heard from Sam from time to time about how Juliana had prayed for something, or had written something in her journal that she had shared with him, and how she walked with the Lord in a way that showed up in everyday life. While she was here, she mentioned in passing how she had prayed about something - usually for other people - and how the Lord had worked those things out in amazing ways - and she was so thrilled with how He had answered prayer! She and Sam related some stories from their tour travels for WCBC this summer, about how they interacted with young people and children, that showed me her heart for souls and helping people. And she told us about how the Lord had allowed her to help a teen girl in a difficult home environment in a special way . . . and I saw a young woman who doesn't just talk about being a servant of the Lord, but lives it. As a mother, I can't tell you how it blessed my heart to see this quality in the wife our son has chosen!


:: She loves our son. Now, I don't see him as hard to love (and I don't think other people do either), but as I said above, we haven't been around them very much as a couple, so I looked for signs that showed me everything is ok. It pleased me to no end to watch them laugh together and tease each other, to watch her quietly take care of him and put him before herself (and he does the same for her, by the way), and to see how comfortable they are with each other. They are friends with each other, and they were friends before they fell in love. They had a long courtship of four years, which allowed them to get to know each other so well that marriage is just a deeper level of continuing friendship - not a huge upheaval in their lives, but truly joining their lives together. And I so enjoyed seeing their love for each other worked out in everyday life!

So now you know our Juliana just a bit better! I'm so glad they were able to come, even though that six days went by so fast! They're both teaching classes this year - Juliana teaches second grade and Sam teaches freshman speech and a Bible course in the college. They're doing great, and I thank the Lord for such a delightful daughter-in-law!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Susan, God is so good! He has blessed you with such a wonderful daughter-in-law who is just the perfect wife for your son. I'm so happy for you and so thankful that you got the opportunity for a nice visit with them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, God has blessed us so much with our daughter-in-law! I've heard horror stories of MIL/DIL relationships, so I'm very pleased with such a delightful DIL.

      Delete
  2. She sounds like a lovely young woman in every way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, Barbara! Thanks you!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful lady, thankyou for sharing this, God Is so Good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is! Thank you, Clare!

      Delete
  4. Susan, you are very blessed, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am - praise the Lord! Thanks, Deb!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin