I've noticed that the pages on my blog that get the most hits (views) are the ones dealing with modest dress. While I'm pretty sure that all of us believe in dressing modestly, we vary quite a bit on exactly what modesty is. Several years ago, I posted an entry containing five principles of modest dress from a sermon that my former pastor delivered. Since there is always interest in this subject, I wanted to repost that entry today. I hope you'll find something in it that will be a help to you.
Here are five principles for modest dress that my pastor preached in a sermon several years ago. I wrote them in the back of my Bible because they are good guidelines for anyone, no matter how you feel about the particulars of what a Christian should wear.
1. Modesty - Is this article of clothing modest? Does it cover me sufficiently? I Timothy 2:9
2. Not worldly - Is this clothing a passing fad of the world? Does it follow the current trends of the world? I John 2:15
3. Difference - Is this clothing distinctly different than that of the opposite gender? Does it immediately and modestly identify me as a male or female? Deuteronomy 22:5
4. Unoffensive - Is this clothing offensive to anyone? Would it cause my brother in Christ to stumble in his walk with the Lord? Is there anything about it that would cause my brother in Christ to sin? Romans 14:7,8,12,13 and I Corinthians 10:23 and 8:13
5. Glorifies God - Does this clothing glorify God? Does it bring glory or undue attention to me? I Corinthians 10:31
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, listed below.
Some resources you may find helpful: