Tuesday, May 07, 2013

We're Taking a Train Trip!

Coast Starlight at Mount Shasta
photo credit: SP8254 via photopin cc
Wes and I are leaving today for Andrew's West Coast Baptist College graduation next week! I find it totally amazing, but also incredibly fulfilling, that we will have two college graduates. Time has gone by so quickly (at least to me)! Andrew probably doesn't feel it's been all that quick, though!

We're leaving a couple of days early so we can take a little Wes-and-Susan time in Seattle. We plan to chill out, relax, rest, snuggle . . . just be a couple . . . for a couple of days. Didn't we just take time off in January? Well, yes. But that time, while thoroughly exciting and enjoyable, was spent dashing from place to place, visiting with everyone we could fit in, hurrying back home, and we were exhausted when it was done! Then we headed straight into our Winter Revival the next day. The work of the ministry has been non-stop since then, which is how it should be. But we're in need of some down time now, so that's what we're going to do. We're so thankful our church family encourages us to take some time for ourselves!

All that being said, though, on Friday, we're boarding an Amtrak train bound for Burbank, and I plan to blog our one-night trip so you can share in the experience. Several of you have mentioned that you've considered a train trip, and I'll be your (wo)man-on-the-street, so to speak, telling you about our accommodations, food, service . . . everything you might like to know about this old-fashioned method of travel. I'll also be posting updates on Twitter and Facebook.

I'll also do my best to post some pictures of the graduation. It's next Wednesday, May 15th. The ceremony will be live-streamed at lbclive.tv at 9:30 AM, Pacific Time, if you're friends or family and care to watch.

Please pray for our trip, for safety and for wonderful times of fellowship as a couple and with our children. We'll get to see Sam & Juliana and where they live, celebrate with Andrew on his big day, and make plans with Beth for her time at home this summer. And the best part? I'll get to spend Mother's Day with all four of our children! That's the best Mother's Day gift ever!

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know about our trip? Feel free to ask!

I hope you'll each have a good week, and I'll see you back here on Friday, Lord willing!

12 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, I am trying so hard not to be envious! Think I told you we took Amtrak from MA to NV (and back) one time. That was 2-3 overnights each way. We loved it -- the scenery was amazing and the meals wonderful. You can read about it on my blog under the title "Our Amtrak Adventure". One thing a lot of people are not prepared for (but we were, because I had read up on it) is that in the dining car the tables are for four, and you just get seated at the next empty places that come up, meaning that you are eating with people you haven't met yet. We met a lot of interesting people that way. At each meal, my husband asked our fellow diners (unless they were already partway through their meal) if they would mind if he said grace. No one objected; in fact, one couple turned out to be fellow believers!

    Have fun!!! Looking forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten you had done that, but I'm glad you reminded me! I'll go read it after I finish here. Thanks for telling me about the meals too. That's something we'd both like to know beforehand. When we took our cruise in 2009, we were seated with new people at each meal, and it was quite the experience for us. We were actually scammed at breakfast the last day! This couple wanted to share the cost of the taxi to the airport, promised to meet us up on deck, then never showed up. When we had waited for about 15 minutes, Wes said forget it and we went on out to catch a taxi. That's when we saw that couple getting into a taxi with another couple! They had set up several couples to meet them, and whoever got there first got to share the cost of the taxi. We learned a quick lesson! LOL

      Delete
  2. One thing I'd like to know...When I'm on boats I end up with messed up equilibrium for several days afterward. Does the train rock like a boat?

    How are the sleeping accommodations?

    Can't wait to hear ALL about everything!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pay attention to the motion of the train! We went on a cruise a few years ago, and THAT's rocking! We have a "roomette" reserved for sleeping. It's the smallest sleeping room they have, and it measures 3'6" x 6'6" according to the website. I'll take pictures!

      Delete
    2. You know, that's why we've never chanced it and taken a cruise. I am so afraid that I'd be dizzy the entire time and what's worse is I'd be dizzy for days afterward too.

      Wow, that is a small sleeping space, my husband is 6'4" tall, so he would barely fit, LOL! Can't wait to see pics and hear all about it.

      Thanks for the chance to put the questions out there to you. :)

      Delete
    3. My husband is the same height as yours, but he's the one who made the reservation! LOL I'll take pictures so you can see.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I just realized we completely forgot to call you! We had some things come up, and along with missions conference, everything else left our minds when it was time to get ready to go. We will call you when we get back home, promise!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to hear all about it! :) Have fun! I've always wanted to travel by train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty excited about the train! It's something I've always wanted to do too. It's slow, though; our entire trip will take 35 hours!

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't say that the train rocks like a boat. It's perfectly possible to walk around, even up and down stairs and so on, without feeling dizzy. At night in bed, there is a very slight rocking sensation, but it didn't bother us (we had a roomette too). It sort of felt like being rocked to sleep. The only thing that might disturb that -- well, it probably won't on your route, but on ours we passed a few freight trains at night. There is quite a loud, sustained roar when that happens. The first time I heard/felt it, I wondered if the train was under attack of some sort. After that we knew what it was, so weren't concerned about it. Yes, the beds in the roomette are compact, but they are fairly comfortable.

    One thought for anyone who gets motion sickness/dizziness -- have you tried Sea Bands? They're an elasticized wrist band with a little plastic button that hits an acupressure point in your wrist to prevent motion sickness. I have found that they work quite well. I always wear them when we fly, although I forgot them this last time and all was still fine, even in turbulence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried those bands when we went on our cruise. I don't normally get motion sickness, so I didn't expect to have a problem on the ship. But I did! Ohhhhh . . . one night we hit some rough water, and the ship was rocking back and forth and side to side all at the same time. I thought I was going to die! LOL I didn't actually get sick, but my head and stomach were miserable. The sea bands seemed to help some, but I also took some tablets they had on board. Next time, I'm taking my own medicine for motion sickness.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin