Wednesday, May 22, 2013

There's a Bend In Our Road

The Curve.
photo credit: Pat Dalton... via photopin cc

I wanted to take a minute to tell you about a slight health issue my husband is having.

About a month ago, Wes had a colonoscopy. His parents have both had non-cancerous polyps removed several times, so their doctor suggested their children have colonoscopies before the age of 50, which is the routine time to begin screening the colon. Wes mentioned that to our doctor over a year ago, who immediately referred him to the radiologist to have this done. It took a year for the appointment, which was last month, as I mentioned above.

The radiologist found one non-cancerous polyp, but he also found a very small cancerous tumor, called a neuroendocrine tumor. This is a slow-growing tumor, and the one removed was very small at 1 centimeter. The good news is that the surrounding tissue removed along with the tumor was completely healthy, so the doctor feels that they completely removed the tumor.

To be completely safe, though, the radiologist referred Wes to an oncologist, who ordered another test, an octreotide scan, which is being done tomorrow and Friday. In this test, "liquid radioactive octreotide is injected into a vein, travels through the bloodstream and attaches to any cancer cells in the body. A radiation detecting device, a gamma camera, detects the radioactive octreotide and makes pictures showing where the cancer cells are." (quote from article at the link above) The most common place that this particular cancer spreads to is the liver, and the oncologist wants to make sure it hasn't spread there or anywhere else.

My purpose in telling you this is so you can help us pray. There doesn't seem to be any immediate danger for my husband, but we want to take every precaution we can to make sure there are no more problems. I'm not bite-my-fingernails worried over it, but I am concerned, of course. Wes is fine - he always takes things in stride! He's like a rock! My prayer is, naturally, that there will be no other cancer detected. But if there is more, we want to know so it can be treated. So please pray for wisdom and discernment on the part of the doctors. We probably won't know the results for a couple of weeks, but I'll update you as soon as we know more.

I have a couple of praises in all of this. I am so, so glad that my in-laws' doctor told them to have their children get tested earlier than 50. This tumor is slow-growing, but Wes is just now turning 48. If he had waited till he was 50, I hate to think how much it might have grown or even spread to other areas of his body. Also, I'm so very thankful that the tests tomorrow and Friday will scan his entire body a total of four times, so that the possibility is great that, if there is more cancer, it will be found and treated.

Thanks for your prayers! We know the Great Physician, and we know that He is in control no matter what is ahead for us!

14 comments:

  1. Praying for you both! It's always a bit unreal to hear the word "cancer" in a discussion with your doctor, even if it is the best possible scenario. Glad he got tested early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! I thought of your recent experience with Jim's kidney, and knew you would understand the feelings I've had - a mixture of concern and relief!

      Delete
  2. Susan we will definitely be praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We sure do appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. Adding my prayers just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy! We both appreciate it so much!

      Delete
  4. Just prayed....

    I'm really glad it was caught so early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Michele! Thanks for your prayers!

      Delete
  5. Praying for him and for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie! He seems to be doing fine, and I'm just anxious for the results.

      Delete
  6. Hi Susan, I haven't visited in a while, I must add your blog to my Reader!

    I will certainly pray. What a blessing it was caught so early, that happened to my Dad (but in his case the cancer was in his bladder) it was caught early, it hadn't spread, and he's been clear ever since. ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Sarah! Thank you for praying, and I'm so glad that your father's cancer was caught early. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you both, Susan! I pray for you every Tuesday regardless! How soon do you expect to get the test results?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mrs. T! I love that you are praying for us on a particular day. We will get his test results on June 5th. They've also ordered some blood tests and other lab work, so we'll have a clear picture of what's going on.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin