Friday, May 10, 2013

Our Amtrak Trip: Part 1

 Pictures later. Internet connection has been sporadic. Thanks for your patience!

Hopefully I can get this out before I lose my wifi connection! We're on a short layover in Portland, and this is the only place I've been able to get my computer to hook up to the wifi, although my phone has hooked up easily all day.

We got to the King Street Station in Seattle 2 hours early this morning. That was my hubby's plan, because we weren't sure how Seattle traffic would be at 8:00 in the morning. So we checked in and waited about an hour and a half before boarding time.

We have a sleeper room called a roomette. And it is. Very big on the 'ette' part! It's about 3 feet wide by 6 feet long! It's just big enough for 2 seats facing each other. These seats fold down to make the lower bunk, and the top bunk folds down from the ceiling. I was shocked when we got on and I began seeing the roomettes, and then when we sat down in it, and I just couldn't help but giggle. My husband is 6'4", and I'm interested to see how he'll fit in his bunk tonight. There is a restroom just two doors down from our room, and there are shower and dressing rooms on the lower level. Our train is a superliner, with three two-level sleeping cars, a dining car, and a parlour car, which is only available to sleeper passengers. It's where I'm sitting now, typing this post.

There are some larger sleeping rooms that actually look quite roomy, compared to the little roomette we're in. Those rooms have their own sinks and toilets, but the showers are still shared.

We've met some friendly people. Our meals are included in our fare (thanks to being in a sleeper), so we have the choice to eat in the dining car or the parlour car. If you eat in the dining car, you are automatically placed at a table for four, and another couple is seated with you. We ate in the dining car for lunch, and our table companions were an older couple from the San Diego area. They had taken a cruise to Vancouver, so that gave us something in common to talk about, since we lived in Vancouver for six years. All four of us had the Angus steak burger. It came with all the trimmings

If you eat in the parlour car, however, you get a private table. We hope to get into the parlour car for dinner. The waiter comes through the train to make your reservations for lunch and dinner, but breakfast is first come, first served.

Michele asked about the swaying on a train in one of her comments. Well, Michele, there is quite a bit of swaying! It's a little difficult to walk at times. I'm not sure if you'd have the same condition you do when you're on a boat, but I'd say it's entirely possible. I'm sorry! I know you'd love to take a train trip.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing about the trip, I'm enjoying reading all the details.

    I was afraid that would be the case with the swaying. Maybe what I would have to try is a short trip or something just to test things out. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin