Tuesday, April 02, 2013

From the Auction House to My House

A few weeks ago, Wes mentioned that he'd been looking online at a local auction company, and he wanted to go to an auction just to see what they had. So one Thursday night, we went to the auction. We loved it! We spent a whole $10 for some old china we thought we'd try to sell online.

We haven't had the chance to go since then, but the auction company opens on the day of the sale so the public can come in and see the items up for bid ahead of time. We dropped by the site to see a china cabinet that was being offered. I've been looking for a new china cabinet since we moved to Canada 8 years ago; our small one we had since we got married had to be left behind in Texas when we moved. I really liked the solid oak cabinet and hutch we saw on Thursday, so Wes placed an absentee bid and we went on about our day.



The next morning, the auctioneer called to say we were the new owners of the china cabinet! There was a dinette set with the cabinet, and they had offered bidder's choice of either the dining set or the china cabinet. The bids went up to $250 (which was way, way, WAY over what we had bid!), and the bidder chose the dining set. The auctioneer offered the hutch to the next two highest bidders for the same price, but neither of them wanted it. So the hutch went to the absentee bidder, which was Wes. That's how close it came to our not getting it!



On Friday, Wes and our youth director went and got my hutch. I spent the afternoon playing with my good china and finally hit an arrangement that pleased me. At least for now! ;) I love having a china cabinet again. It fits perfectly in the space we have for it. And I'm so thankful that the Lord kept it for me! Isn't He good?

8 comments:

  1. That's so pretty. I like having my china on display, though I should use it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love it! I use my china a few times a year. I inherited it from my mother when she passed away, so I never had to collect china. My daughter likes this set because it's so simple - just white with the silver band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! How sweet that the Lord kept it for you! I have neither china nor a china cabinet, though I'd love to some day. They would both probably need to be used. I imagine there is china for sale on ebay and at local antique shops, but I haven't looked. Then the problem would be choosing one -- there are so many pretty patterns. Our pastor's wife collects unmatched china -- they all have pink roses in common (right up my alley. :-) ), but otherwise they're different sets, yet it makes for a very pretty table. My step-father has china that I like, but it will probably go to his full daughter, my half-sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see in the comment above that this is my mother's china? I wouldn't have it if she hadn't passed away so early in life. When I got married, the pick-your-china-pattern phase was on its way out, I think. I love your pastor's wife's idea of collecting mismatched china with a common theme!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful china cabinet! And the Lord had it in mind just for YOU. :)

    I have my grandmother's china and I love it. Thankfully the rental we live in has a built in china cabinet in the dining room. Having it out like that makes me use it more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would love a built-in china cabinet! They add so much character to a room.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that you got the china cabinet. It's beautiful. You will always have the story of how God provided it when you didn't expect it. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth! I hadn't thought of it much past the present, but it is a good story of God's provision to pass along through the years!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin