Saturday, April 20, 2013

Birthday Fun

Wes and I were out of town for most of this week, since last Saturday. He was invited to preach a missions conference in Williams Lake, BC, for one of our church's sponsored missionaries. We had a great time visiting with Pastor Rick Lendvoy and his wife, Bev, and Lake City Baptist Church. We had met them when we lived in North Vancouver, and the church we started there supports them, but at that time we had no idea that Wes would one day be pastoring their sending church! We've been here 2 1/2 years already, but didn't know the Lendvoys very well yet, so this trip was a great time to get to know them and see the work they've established. The conference ran Sunday through Tuesday night. Wes preached all four services, and we headed back home on Wednesday to be in time for our service here. We were blessed when Pastor Lendvoy announced that the church's mission budget has increased by 50% this year over last year!

On Sunday afternoon, we arrived home to a whole herd of deer in the yard!



The Lendvoys' dog, Scruffy. Nobody knows just how much I enjoyed this doggie! We can't have pets in our apartment, so Scruffy was great fun and great company all week.

Wes preaching on Monday night

Well, my birthday was last Saturday. We were traveling for six hours that day to get to Williams Lake, but on the way out of town we stopped at Denny's, where I got a free birthday Grand Slam breakfast. Then we stopped at Starbucks, where I got my free birthday drink. Are you sensing a pattern here? Earlier in the week we ate at Red Robin . . . and my meal was free there, too! It's great fun to get a bunch of free food and drinks on your birthday, so I make sure to take advantage of all the offers I can every year.

They even wrote HappyBirthday on my cup!


My phone plan was due for a free upgrade this spring, and every quarter we get a small tax rebate from the government of British Columbia. Wes always gives me the April rebate as a bit of a birthday gift, and I go get something I want or need. This year I wanted to upgrade to an iPhone!


You know how a watched pot is slow to boil? Well, a watched mailbox is slow to gain a rebate check! I know it has come earlier in other years! But it finally came on the 12th, and we went to the phone provider and got my iPhone 4S. I love it! I've really enjoyed being able to take pictures and post them to Instagram, and I love having all my devices in one (previously had an ancient iPod Touch, a cell phone, and a camera). So that was my birthday gift this year. An added bonus? My daughter-in-law, Juliana, got hers the same day! Plus I heard from all our kids in some way over the weekend.

You know what else I love? Some of our teen girls have iPod Touches, and they like to text me. Now, isn't that pretty sweet that teenaged girls like to text their middle-aged pastor's wife?! I think I'm a pretty safe person to be texting with, and it helps build my relationship with them.

On Saturday, the Lendvoys gave me a gift when we arrived, and I didn't even know they knew it was my birthday! Bev had gone shopping, and she knew exactly what I'd like: a box of fat quarter and jelly roll fabrics, some pretty pins (I always get the plain ones, so I loved these colorful ones!), several spools of thread to match the fabrics, and a $25 Starbucks gift card! How fun! These were all things I love to play with, but never buy for myself, so this is a treat!


On Wednesday night, one of our ladies brought me a gift of a beautiful scarf that was made by a friend of hers. It looks very intricate, but she said it was really easy to make. I just love it!


So I've been spoiled once again! Wes teases me about loving my birthday so much, but the truth is, I do love my birthday! I love gaining another year. I love every year and all the new things they bring. Some years are better than others, because that's just how life is, but I'm always grateful for another year of life. It sure beats the alternative!



9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had such a nice birthday! God is so good. Thank you for sharing your wonderful blessings! I think I'll see what free food I can get on my next birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing birthday freebies for several years, and I love it! It's a way to get some goodies without breaking the bank. Check restaurant chains, local businesses, etc. Great way to learn your new town! ;)

      Delete
    2. I think I'll do that! We will have a lot more restaurant choices in Lawton. :)

      Delete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday, Susan!!! I LOVE those birthday freebies, too....i even have a special email folder that all my b'day freebies go in when i start getting them! LOL! I'm glad you had some enjoyable ones!

    And, oh my! what a b'day gift from your friends!!! fabric!!! plus much more! I love surprises like that. i have one of those frilly scarves that a friend made for me in purples. My husband thinks it's too flaunty to wear to church so I keep it for other occasions. Yours is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! I do love the gifts given to me this year. That scarf looks really good with a white denim jacket I have, so I'm going to wear it with that and a denim skirt for a cute casual outfit. The nice thing is that it'll dress up really nice too!

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a neat birthday all around, even despite traveling in it. I'm going to have to look up this birthday freebie stuff! :-) That gift package is really nice. What are jelly roll fabrics??

    I love my iPhone, for all the reasons you listed! I was kind of slow about texting, but I enjoy it now. It's nice to be able to contact loved ones when they can't really get into a conversation right then or might not see an email right away. Plus I get birthday texts from my sisters, whereas they don't really send cards. It's neat that the teen girls text you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, a "jelly roll" is 2 1/2" wide x width of fabric (usually 42") strips, all from a particular line of fabric. The ones from the designers usually have about 40 strips, but the one I have is 20 strips. They're pre-cut, so you can just open the roll and use them in any pattern calling for 2 1/2" strips, which saves you time.

      I've really enjoyed texting with our children, which I've been doing for about 3 years now, way before I had the iPod or iPhone. Our phone plan here allows for unlimited texting in the US and Canada - I love it! The downside to that is that most companies in the US charge an extra fee for international texting, so it has only worked for me to text a handful of people in the US. When our kids got their iPhones, their plan changed and didn't allow texting to Canada anymore - hence the use of the iPod for texting, and now the iPhone.

      Delete
  4. Happy belated birthday, Susan!!!! I'm glad it was such a special one for you. Those scarves are quite easy to make; I've crocheted two of them. They can also be knitted or even made using one's fingers. Seriously. Not my favorite thing to make, but they truly are very simple. I love the colors in yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. T! I think the girl who made my scarf actually did it just with her fingers. Totally amazing!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin