Friday, March 15, 2013

Study/Craft Room Makeover

You're really going to think I'm crazy now.

  photo 31-Day-340px-Border_zpsac0e01c4.png
Not only have I joined the Early To Rise Challenge with Money Saving Mom, but I've also joined another challenge for the month of March: the 31-Day Organizational Challenge at I'm An Organizing Junkie. Unlike the ETR challenge, this one is not so much establishing a habit (although that is involved) as it is organizing a space in your home in 31 days. I joined a few days into the month, so I actually have about 25 days, but working a little (or a lot!) each day has gotten a lot accomplished in just a few days.

Incidentally, Laura uses her own PROCESS to help you organize your space. I love this, plain and simple. I printed out her questions included in the Plan step of the PROCESS and put them on my clipboard. I answered them all and began to plan what I wanted to do with my space. Those questions were a huge help in figuring out where to begin! Thanks, Laura!

I chose our second bedroom, aka the study/craft room combo. My husband is a pastor and we rent our building from another church, so his office is in our home. I also do my sewing and paper crafting in this room. But this summer we'll need this room for a third function: our daughter is coming home from college to work for the summer. We have a futon in this room that we thought would be the perfect answer to her having a place to sleep when she's home, but turns out it's not very comfortable, especially not for our 6-foot tall daughter (or for either of her 6-foot tall brothers, for that matter). Since she'll be home for 3 months rather than just a couple of weeks, we want her to have a comfy bed and a place to call her own while she's here. So we decided to sell the futon, buy a bed, and convert the study/craft room into a guest room/craft room.

Here are a few before pics. It's cluttered, there's the futon, and although my sewing machine is in there, I have to do my cutting and ironing in other rooms. I usually do my paper crafting at the kitchen table, which means carrying my supplies in there and back into the craft room when I'm finished. I want to be able to do all my crafting in one area. 
Standing in the door to the room. Wes' desk is around the corner to the right. Sorry for the clutter, but that's part of the reason for doing the challenge! You can see my sewing machine in front of the window, with my desk to its right.
My desk. This was a mess and it was driving me crazy!

Another view of the entire room, this one from the walk-through closet.

Here's what we've done so far.
First, we moved my husband's desk and one bookcase to our bedroom. That's a whole 'nother story. Anyway. That opened up one entire wall for my crafting. I moved my sewing machine into the place where his desk was, moved my desk to the opposite end of the wall, and added a small folding table in between that will serve as my cutting table and paper-crafting table.
I love to surround myself with pictures of my family! In this grouping I have my handsome husband during the cruise we took for our 25th anniversary; my mother, who passed away in 1981; our children; and two photos of our children with each set of their grandparents at Sam's college graduation.
I knew I wanted my cutting table to have a skirt around it so I can store some fabric and works-in-progress out of sight underneath. I have a limited budget, so I was thrilled when I remembered a sheet I had bought at the thrift store. It fits over the cutting table (with some pooling in the floor on the back side, next to my desk), but I think I will cut it and just make it a skirt, rather than having it cover the entire table. I'm nervous about the cloth slipping as I cut, in spite of the rubbery cutting mat.
Still have lots to do. See all that clutter to the right? That's just the beginning! That rolling cart is a mess, as is the bookcase beside it.

I completely cleared off my desk and sewing table and emptied the drawers on that little drawer unit on the cutting table, which I got for free from Craigslist when we lived in Vancouver. I also cleared out that letter holder on my desk that was bulging with papers, notebooks, and cutting rulers. Now there are 3 cutting rulers, one notebook, and a few letters I need to answer. Much better! I hung some family pictures on the wall above my desk.

I still have a lot of work to do in this room, but I'm already enjoying having a dedicated crafting space! Most of the work now will be decluttering drawers, shelves, and the closet. Believe me, there is a LOT more work! I hope to be back next week with some more progress to show you!

18 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! I can really see your progress. This is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nessa, and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  2. How neat that your daughter is coming home for the whole summer! Looks like you've made some great progress! I love when I've been puzzling over an organizing situation for a while and suddenly an idea comes to mind and something clicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO excited that Beth's coming home for the whole summer! She's the first of our children to be able to do that. She'll be able to make more money here and not have to pay rent. I'm very pleased with my cutting table. I think I can get a lot of work done there.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic job organizing!! You have a lot going on in that space and you are doing a great job of sorting it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GingerBabyMama! I feel like it's coming together, but I still have a lot of work to do. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  4. Its looking great! And you will enjoy it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! I'm enjoying it so much more already, just with the few changes I've made. I can't wait till it's all done!

      Delete
  5. Wow, you really have made wonderful progress in this room! Good for you!

    I was excited to see that you are doing the Early To Rise challenge as well. I have Andy Traub's book and have been doing it that way.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! I hope you're doing well on the Early To Rise Challenge. I've enjoyed getting up earlier; now my dilemma is how to spend those morning hours in the most productive way. Always something new to learn! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  6. You've done some nice work there! Having your daughter home for the summer is a wonderful motivator to get this room set up the way you'd like it. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This will be the first summer we've had a child home from college, and I'm very excited to have her here! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  7. Great job decluttering. I'm also doing both challenges but I can tell you they do dovetail nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do! Getting up earlier gives lots more time to get things done. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  8. Susan, you are very blessed to have your very own crafting room! I keep longing for my own space but realize to have it means one of the kids leaving home and freeing up their room. That day will come I'm sure (not looking forward to that part of it though!), but for now I'll be satisfied with setting up a Costco table in the living room! I desperately need to organize my bedroom and desk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm blessed to have this space! I've spent years setting up in the dining room or at the kitchen table or sharing the office with Wes. We're both so disorganized that it's a disaster when we share the same room! Although having one or more children out on their own is rough going at first, the benefits are there too. I've found that the Lord has given peace and grace, and thrown in a few extras too! :)

      Delete
  9. I so need to de clutter. I think my bedroom is going to be blitzed in the next week. I am sure it will be a more relaxing roon once completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to get started, but once you do, the feeling of everything being in order is wonderful! You can do it!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin