Monday, March 25, 2013

Early To Rise: Share It!


early to bed and early to rise ... makes good apple juice
Photo by klugi

You know I've been participating in the Early to Rise Challenge at Money Saving Mom. At the beginning of the challenge, I bought the bookEarly To Rise: Learn To Rise Early in 30 Days, by Andy Traub, which was the impetus behind the challenge. Each day has a motivating message - Andy's great at motivation! - and an assignment for the day. Today's assignment was to share your rising-early experience with five other people. Well, you guys are way more than five, but I'll just count you as one. Like a collective noun. I don't know who the other four will be yet. Wes already knows, so I can't count him.

So today was Day 25 of rising early, and I've managed to get up on time (my target time was 6:30) 20 of those days. Some days, depending on how early I went to bed, I woke up on my own well before 6:30 - more like 5:15. That amazed me! Other days, I got up right at 6:30, and I wasn't happy about it! But I found that once I was up and on my feet, I loved being up early. Here are some things I've learned in the past 25 days:

~ I can get up early. I had myself convinced I just couldn't do it consistently.
~ I am having fantastic devotions every day. That alone is motivating me to keep rising early. I have time to read, write, and pray without feeling rushed. I also enjoy having a leisurely cup of coffee or tea.
~ I have time to plan my day, rather than having my day happen to me. When interruptions occur, they aren't earth-shattering when I have a basic plan for the day.
~ By rising early, I am naturally sleepy at a time when I should be going to bed. I'm finding that I do well on about 7-7.5 hours of sleep. I discovered that by going to bed when I was sleepy, around 9:30. Every time I've done that and gone to sleep right away, I've wakened on my own about 5:00, a couple of times even earlier. Although I had my rising time set at 6:30, I've found I like being up around 5:30. Will I set my clock for 5:30? I'm a little skittish about that! I think I'll see if I continue waking on my own.
~ I'm establishing a new routine. Thanks to FlyLady, I've had simple routines in place for years for my mornings (once I was up!) and daily cleanup. I'd never mastered the wake-up, though. Now I'm loving the new routine of my mornings with my earlier rise time!

The only negative I've found is that I get really sleepy in the afternoon and end up having to nap. Now, I do have diabetes, so that accounts for some of the sleepy feeling, and I tire more easily than I used to. Taking a short nap helps, but I definitely have to set an alarm to wake me up!

The challenge is almost over. I think I've come far enough with this habit that I'll continue rising early, because I believe the rewards will continue to motivate me. I've never had such peaceful, calm mornings as I've had the past 25 days! Thanks again, Crystal, for hosting the challenge!



I'm also linking up with The Modest Mom for Modest Monday. Every week, she has a linkup for women to share anything to do with Christian homemaking or womanhood. I've watched her for a while and I like what I see. I'm pleased to join in with her on Mondays!

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you and jealous. I started and didn't make it a week. Sadly my heart just wasn't in it. But you've done great! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tori! I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but you can always try again anytime!

      Delete
    2. Tori, let me know if I can do anything to help you ok? (I wrote the book AND I know how hard it is to get up). I hate getting up early! I just like BEING up early. Email me andy at earlytorisebook.com if there's anything I can do to help OK?

      Delete
    3. Tori, if I can do anything to help please shoot me an email at andy at earlytorisebook.com. This is a CHALLENGE but I believe you can do it! It's not about being perfect, it's about trying to change your life. Let me know if I can help.

      Delete
  2. You have inspired me....I WANT to be an early riser, but I don't want the pain of having to get up when my body wants to sleep. But I guess you don't get the one without the other. I think I am going to give this a go soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, I know that pain well! LOL It only hurts for a few minutes, honest. I sit on the edge of the bed and . . . well, I won't tell you about my moaning and groaning. But then I get up and move, and it's all better. You'll have to try it - I know you can do it!

      Delete
  3. Susan, I am so happy to see how this challenge has blessed your life!! I have been praying for you -- not every day, but frequently. So thrilled to hear how this earlier rising has impacted your devotional life. Praise God -- from whom all blessings flow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praying for me, Mrs. T!!! That touches my heart! Yes, I do praise God for helping me get up and have that quiet time with Him first thing. It's life-changing!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! It feels so nice to start the day early. :). Ever since having a baby, I do and enjoy it much more than I anticipated. I get to sleep around 9 pm and wake up between 6 am and 7 am (I let my little baby girl be my alarm) and find I am able to accomplish so much more than before! :)

    FlyLady helps too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to you too, on your sweet baby! I went to your blog and fell in love with those little dimpled elbows! Looks like she's a good sleeper to let you get a good night's sleep. Good for you for sleeping when you can and being able to get up and get things done! FlyLady will help more and more, trust me! LOL Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on taking on the challenge and congrats on your success! Thanks for getting the book! I'm working on a version JUST for moms so please let me know if you'd like to participate in helping write the next book! http://www.EarlyToRiseBook.com/momsedition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the book and encouragement, Andy! You motivated me not only to get up early, but to change some other things in my life.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin