Thursday, December 06, 2012

Doing Better!

Streams in the Desert
'Streams in the Desert' by kretyen

So many of you left comments on my post in which I briefly mentioned the trouble I've had with this mid-season of my life. Thank you all for your prayers and words of encouragement! I was at a very low point when I wrote that last week, and the assurance that I'm not alone (and not crazy!) helped me tremendously.

In the week since that post, one special friend has corresponded with me by email and has been such a blessing and help. She has walked this way before me, and she has given me so many practical tips and wisdom for this stage of life, as well as the assurance that "this too shall pass!" And she pointed me directly to the Lord, first and foremost, which is exactly what a real friend does. Thank you, my friend!

I've been to visit my doctor, and he has been a help as well. He has worked out a plan for me to help with the physical side of things, so hopefully that will begin to improve soon as well.

My husband has been a wonderful refuge for me the past week. He knew I was struggling, but he didn't know to what extent. As soon as he realized how deep the struggle was, he began to do things that let me know that he loves me - for always -  and we will get through this together.

My Heavenly Father has also been so real and such a comfort to me as well! Once I realized how badly I needed to run to Him, He was there with words of comfort from His Word. Part of my inward struggle was that I was not staying as close to Him as I needed to be. And we know He doesn't move, don't we? So it was I who had moved away from Him; not so much outwardly, but in my heart I was allowing worry, frustration, and anxiety to rule rather than turning to the Lord for strength.

Although I know I still have years of this season ahead, most likely, I believe things are moving forward. I want to encourage you, if you're in the changing years of mid-life, to seek medical help if you need it, let your husband and family know what you're going through and how you need them to help, and flee to the everlasting arms of your Savior! Don't even try to go through it alone, like I was. I thought if I just stuck it out I'd be ok. But I needed help. Help is available, so take advantage of it!

Thank you again, sweet friends, for your prayers and encouragement!

20 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you are doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very glad to hear that you're doing better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. B! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you've been struggling. I have had two fierce battles with PPD; I'm praying menopause won't be too bad for me, but I'm not counting on it. Praying for you! I know this is a busy time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Valerie, maybe your low times have already passed, and your menopause won't be as bad as your struggles with PPD. I never had a huge problem with either PMS or PPD, but this change of life has just about whooped me! Thank you for your prayers!

      Delete
    2. Oh, how I hope you're right! Because of my battles (in which I needed medical intervention), I can sympathize a tiny bit with your struggles. God bless!

      Delete
    3. You can probably sympathize more than just a tiny bit!

      Delete
    4. Valerie, I didn't know that you had two fierce battles. I am sorry to hear you struggled for a second time ((())))

      Susan, I have struggled with PPD as well and I also fear the change.
      I am sorry you are struggling... prayers from Michigan

      Delete
  4. Thankful you're doing better. Being a woman certainly has some interesting struggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, sure does! Thanks for your prayers!

      Delete
  5. Praising the Lord with you, Susan, that you are doing better! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. T! Yes, the Lord is very good! :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I had a similar experience this week. A friend's encouraging words pierced my heart and made me run to the Lord. I have been praying for both of us! So neat to see how the Lord works. I plan to write what I am learning soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Iron sharpeneth iron" yes?! I look forward to what you have to say!

      Delete
  7. Very thankful that you have help and so much love surrounding you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear you've gotten help from several venues and are doing better.

    For me the time preceding menopause was much worse than menopause itself. It's different for everyone. My only main problem during menopause were some extreme emotions -- I think I do remember praying that I wouldn't hurt anyone with unkind words during that time.

    One thing that really helped me was a message by Wayne Van Gelderen, Jr., about troubles his mom had at that time. The message was from a series about marriage, and one whole message was on menopause. It helped to know that even such a godly lady had some of the same problems. I just did a bit of preliminary looking around to see if I could find the series online but didn't see it -- I'll have to see if they still make that series or if maybe the messages are on sermonaudio.com or somewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear that message. I don't think I've ever heard menopause mentioned in any series or sermon on the family. It's like it's almost non-existent - which might explain why women don't seek help sometimes. My thoughts have been that it's an internal problem (emotions) so I should just bear it until it goes away. I read some material today that I want to share soon that was a great help concerning holding in our emotions.

      Delete
  9. Praise the Lord! It's good to read this post that you're doing much better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin