Wednesday, December 05, 2012

A Christmas Memory

I was just looking at Facebook, and a friend of mine was sharing her Christmas memories, one each day. I thought it might be fun to share some Christmas memories here on the blog, and I'll begin with Wes' and my first Christmas together.

christmas tree
Photo by tamburix

I've always loved Christmas, so I expected our first Christmas together to be something extra special. He would buy me a romantic gift or two, we would gaze into each other's eyes, and it would be the most perfect Christmas any couple ever had. A couple of weeks before Christmas, a rather large box appeared under the tree for me. I was so excited! A large box meant a large, exciting gift!

On Christmas morning, there was at least one other box under the tree for me, but it was much smaller. All I could see was that huge box. So I dug into that magnificent-looking gift and, much to my surprise - and, I must admit - my disappointment, that huge box contained a decidedly UNromantic . . . vacuum cleaner!


Wes immediately saw my face fall and the light go out in my eyes. He knew he'd made some kind of mistake, but he couldn't understand what had happened when I opened that vacuum cleaner. You see, in his family, there would always be one fun gift and one practical gift. So that's what he'd done for me. He had no idea I'd had my expectations running high for something fun and romantic and marvelous!

How we laugh about that silly vacuum now! It was a much-needed gift, because I'd been sweeping the carpet in our tiny mobile home with a broom. I was so young and immature as a young bride at age 19 that I didn't see the love in that practical gift. Needless to say, he's never given me anything quite that practical since then, but I have also learned that my man loves me dearly and was showing it by giving me something I could definitely use.

And the fun, romantic gift I hadn't expected? A beautiful gold watch from Kay's, with a tiny diamond at the top. It no longer works and the glass has a crack across the face, but I still have it, 28 years later.

The vacuum died a long time ago, too, but I didn't keep it! ;)

Do you have a Christmas memory to share?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Susan! I decided to do the same on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Isn't funny how we have different expectations that the guys. We got married December 16, so our first Christmas we were newly married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I read back over that, I noticed that my expectations were all about what HE would do for ME - not the other way around! What a selfish girl I was! LOL We got married on October 12th, so we had only been married 2 1/2 months.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing that sweet memory. I smiled reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Christmas memories! :)

      Delete
  4. Some of those times of misunderstanding or missed expectations when we're newly married are so painful at the time but make for sweet memories.

    I have written about Christmas memories before but it has been a long while. I'd like to share one or two some time before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has become a sweet memory to us, for sure. I'm looking forward to reading some of yours!

      Delete
  5. How very funny, Susan! Although I'm sure at the time you weren't laughing! My very first Christmas that we were married I got a winter coat from my husband. Now...that IS a personal item...but I was selfish and upset because whether it was Christmas or not I HAD to have a winter coat. So I guess i felt like it wasn't a real gift since I would get one anyway! Oh, the things we learn when we grow up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin