Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I've Been MIA

Sorry I've been missing in action the past few weeks! Life here, as I'm sure where you are too, has been so busy that sometimes I feel like I'm barely keeping up with the basics, let alone the fun extra things like blogging.

I had my craft table at Curves last Monday, and it turned out fair. I didn't sell as much as I'd hoped, but I did have enough sales to say it was worth my time to be there all day. I really enjoyed interacting with the ladies who stopped to chat for a minute, and quite a few ladies took my business card. Hopefully they'll visit my online shop to see everything I have to offer.

Wedding plans are moving along quite well. We've made arrangements with the pastor of my brother-in-law's church to stay in the church's 3-bedroom mission house the week of the wedding. The size of the house will enable us to have all 3 children with us that last week, which is something that is important to me. We'll also get to visit my relatives in SC and my husband's relatives in NC during the trip. It will be a fast one - two weeks total - but it will be so good to see extended family I haven't seen in probably five years or so.

None of our children will be home for Christmas this year, since we're all saving our pennies for the wedding trip. Beth will come home on New Year's Eve and spend that week with us, then travel to the wedding with us. Andrew will meet us in GA; in fact, his plane from Los Angeles arrives 20 minutes after ours does from Spokane. Andrew and Beth will travel back to CA the day after the wedding. So our holiday visits will be short this year, but I'm still thankful we'll at least get to be with them for that short time.

I was blessed to attend a ladies' retreat - yes, another one! - the first weekend of November, sponsored by Faith Baptist Church in Spokane, WA. I think this was one of the best retreats I've been to. The teaching was so very practical, not so pie-in-the-sky that we couldn't go home and implement it. You know what I mean? The speaker was Mrs. Ginny Chrichton, whose husband is the founding pastor of Greater Rhode Island Baptist Temple. I had never met her or heard of her, but I was so blessed by her down-to-earth teaching! We stayed in the historic Davenport Hotel in downtown Spokane. I have been told many times that a hotel is fabulous, but never has one lived up to that term like The Davenport did! I had two ladies and their teen daughters from our church with me, which I loved. We did some shopping and some eating out, so it was a nice little trip for all of us. I plan to take a larger group next year, Lord willing.

Although Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in early October, we still enjoy celebrating the traditional American Thanksgiving too. We have some fellow transplanted Americans a few hours away who have invited us to their home the past two years. We've enjoyed going down to visit with them, and it's becoming a new tradition. We had a beautiful trip down to their place on Thursday morning, but Friday morning was snowy and just a bit treacherous as we came back over the mountain passes. The Lord kept us safe, though, and we made it home in good time to enjoy a Kelowna Rockets hockey game on Friday night with some of our church members. The NHL is on strike this year, but the local hockey teams still play, so our die-hard hockey fans got their fix Friday night!

Now we're on to the Christmas season and all the activity that involves! I love Christmas and its beauty. I will tell you that it's a little hard not having our children coming home at all, though. I just can't pretend that's easy!

As I close, I will ask you to pray for me. One reason I haven't written much lately is that I am dealing with some changes that come with the mid-life season, and I'm experiencing some pretty intense emotional difficulties right now. I finally gave in and made an appointment with my doctor to see if I can get some help with that and the physical side of this time of life. I won't hide the fact that it's proving to be a difficult time for me. I'd appreciate your prayers, and also any advice you might have. We have so many books by Christian authors dealing with teen years, early marriage, child-rearing, but not so much dealing with middle and later life issues women face. We need them! I'm not asking for your sympathy, but I am letting you know that this is a very real part of my life right now.

Thanks for sticking around! I appreciate all of you and your kind comments when I post!

21 comments:

  1. I'm so blessed to read your post today. Know that I'm praying for you. I've been dealing with a tumultuous post partum period a year after having my son. Hormones are not FUN! We women don't get it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never dealt too much with PPD, but I can sure relate to it at this stage of life! Praying you will find relief and help!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your transparency. I'm dealing with some of the same things. Let's pray for one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can pray for one another! It's always nice to know you're not alone, even when it feels like you are. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. As I close, I will ask you to pray for me. One reason I haven't written much lately is that I am dealing with some changes that come with the mid-life season, and I'm experiencing some pretty intense emotional difficulties right now. I finally gave in and made an appointment with my doctor to see if I can get some help with that and the physical side of this time of life. I won't hide the fact that it's proving to be a difficult time for me. I'd appreciate your prayers, and also any advice you might have. We have so many books by Christian authors dealing with teen years, early marriage, child-rearing, but not so much dealing with middle and later life issues women face. We need them! I'm not asking for your sympathy, but I am letting you know that this is a very real part of my life right now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I am there with you...it is a difficult season of life. Thank you for sharing. We know we are not alone.
    Saying a prayer for you dear sister.
    Hugs,
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Brandie! It does help so much to know I'm not alone!

      Delete
  4. I'm going through some similar highs and lows- sending my prayers for you especially over the holidays - thanks for your blog-
    And for sharing
    All the best
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, Jen, and for leaving a comment. I appreciate it so much!

      Delete
  5. Hormones are such tricky things.....I heard someone once say that in our 40's and 50's our hormones make us have the same struggles and emotional upheaval that we experienced in our pre-teens. I think I'm in the beginning part of this phase.

    Thanks for your transparency and maybe we can pray for each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can definitely pray for each other, Mrs. B! I can remember as a teenager bursting into tears one night when my dad made an innocent comment to me. I couldn't explain why I cried, and he sure didn't understand it, but I know now it was hormones - and that's how I feel now! So that statement seems to be true! Thanks for your comment and prayers!

      Delete
  6. So glad the sale went relatively well! That would indeed be very hard to have a Christmas at home without any of the kids coming, but it makes sense for this year. Is the wedding at Christmastime then? I'd forgotten -- I thought it was later on.

    I was on the verge of looking into hormonal help while going through "that time," but never did quite get there. I think I was too afraid of some of their effects, but I know people who do well with them. Hopefully your dr. will have some good advice. I used to be quite active on the Crosswalk.com forums, and they had a women's forum with one thread dedicated to menopause and change of life issues, and it helped just to know I wasn't crazy and other women were experiencing the same things....I just checked but it doesn't look like they have forums any more, unfortunately. They've switched to Facebook -- but there are questions like that that one does not want to post in that kind of venue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wedding is January 11th, and we're leaving on the 7th to fly to GA for the week of the wedding, so it's only two weeks after Christmas that all 5 of us will be flying (Sam is going out there New Year's Eve and staying with my brother- and sister-in-law until the wedding). So yes, it does make sense to spend that much money only once, but it's still not my mama's-heart solution! LOL

      I am a little bit afraid of the effect of hormonal treatment, but I was on it several years ago (the price of estrogen skyrocketed shortly after I went on it, so I stopped) and felt so much better. My symptoms now are much worse than they were then, and I really, really need some help with the emotional aspects. It took me a long time to share even the little bit I did on my blog; I don't think I'd be all that willing to share any of it on Facebook! ;)

      Thanks so much for your reply, Barbara!

      Delete
  7. Glad you are back and I'll be praying for you as you go through this season in your life.

    Hey! You may be in my neck of the woods when you travel to NC/SC. We live in Clover, SC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers, Nikki! I don't believe I know where Clover is, but I think I've seen it on an interstate road sign, maybe on I-85? We'll be in Upstate SC and in the Statesville, NC, area.

      Delete
    2. Clover is right next to Charlotte and Gastonia. Just south of the two.

      Delete
    3. Yes, we'll be right through that area! :)

      Delete
  8. I'll be praying for you during this busy, exciting season filled with so many "changes". ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mrs. C! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  9. Susan, I am just now catching up reading my favorite blogs, and I wanted you to know that I will definitely be praying for you! I was reading in a devotional book last night talking about 2 Cor. 1:4 and being a comfort to others. You have been such a blessing to so many, especially to me, this newbie missionary wife. Record your thoughts and experiences, it could be you that the Lord is leading to write a book to help others through the mid life time.
    Love you! and will be praying, too
    Kami

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your prayers, Kami! Funny you should mention writing down my experiences; Wes suggested that last week when I reached my lowest point and began to get help. He said I should keep a diary. I don't know about a book; that's a big step! Your words are an encouragement. I want to be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, Susan! I'm another blog reader who is catching up on 9 posts tonight! All the way back to November! I'm so sorry that I haven't been in blogland touch with you to know about the problems. i will be praying for you. It's good to know the schedule for your travel, too...will be praying for you all and for the wedding on the 11th.

    And i know it's an impossibility this time around with the wedding, etc....but you know that you're always welcome to our area of the Shenandoah Valley!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin