Monday, July 09, 2012

The Gospel on Network TV?

My blog friend, Barbara of Stray Thoughts, always has excellent content on her blog, but these couple of videos gave me the biggest blessing from a blog post I've had in a long time. It's the complete recording of one episode of the old TV show This Is Your Life, which aired in the 1950s with host Ralph Edwards. This episode features Rachel Saint, the sister of missionary Nate Saint, who was one of the men killed with Jim Elliot by the Auca Indians of South America. You will be amazed by how favorable the host was to the Gospel and the work Miss Saint was doing! Thank you, Barbara, for sharing this with us!




3 comments:

  1. You're very welcome! I was so happy to see this was online, but so sad to think of the change in our society in such a relatively short time in that the way this story was treated would not be the same now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today there would be such an outcry that the show would be cancelled, the host fired to never work again, and the guests sued or jailed for hate speech! Even while I was preparing this post, I saw in some of the articles I read that people were upset that these missionaries had "ruined" the "pristine" condition of these remote tribes. I also read that Miss Saint was removed from the tribe by her mission agency and forced into retirement in the early 1970s. She just resigned from that board and went right back to the jungle! Amen! She died among Dayuma's tribe and was buried there.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! You are right, it is amazing how much has changed! It was so encouraging to hear the host praise her work and not put her down.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin