Thursday, June 14, 2012

What I'm Working On . . .

I said on my ByGrace Facebook page yesterday that I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger in a wind storm these past couple of weeks! We have two more trips (actually, I have two more; Wes just has one) coming up in the next two weeks, and then we're home until Family Camp week in August. Hallelujah! I've traveled enough in the past six weeks to do me for a long time!

A sneak peek!

The reason I'm so busy? Well, other than carrying on my normal homemaking and church duties, I'm planning to reopen my Etsy shop, HandmadeByGrace, the first week of July (which is in Vacation Mode right now, btw). I had wanted to make fabric items, such as grocery bags, purses, and little zipper pouches, but I hadn't counted on the cost of fabric. Or at least not the fabric I felt was worth using! I wanted to use designer fabrics, but at retail prices, I just couldn't use them and charge enough to make a profit. Even breaking even was hard to do. Then there was shipping. Fabric items weigh more and are larger than paper goods, so shipping would be quite expensive from Canada. We don't have flat-rate shipping, so getting customers to accept paying Canada's higher shipping rates wasn't easy either.


Long story short, I've decided to restock my shop with paper goods. I'm relisting some of my best-selling items and making new products every day. They're easy to make, I can get the supplies reasonably priced, and shipping them is somewhere in the range of sending large letters, which is much more acceptable to buyers.



I'm making lots of tags. Have you seen the trend of wedding wish trees? Guests write their wishes on decorative tags and hang them on a tree, similar to the money trees I've seen in past years. The demand for wedding wish tree tags is booming at the moment, and I have designs in mind for those! I also like making small square cards that are great for little notes or to use as gift enclosures. And I have the cutest little envelope template that would make cute little sets of miniature cards. I'm also making self-adhesive labels and stickers.



So that's what's keeping me busy these days. Other than, you know, keeping the house clean, feeding my husband, teaching my Wednesday night class of 5- and 6-year-olds, doing laundry, teaching ladies' fellowship once a month, practicing music (not doing so hot with the guitar the past couple of months!) . . . just everyday stuff! LOL

What's keeping you busy this summer?

6 comments:

  1. Nice to hear from you! We're busy building a house this summer. Right now I'm packing up and getting ready to move into a 35 ft camper trailer for the summer. Hopefully we all survive to move into the finished house! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, Deb!!! How exciting for you! Although that living in a 35 ft. camper part doesn't sound so exciting. Just keep looking ahead to that new house! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh thats great! Everyone has something to do and are busy. have a great summer Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, teJan! I hope you have a great summer too! :)

      Delete
  3. Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well.

    Have a blessed day!

    In Christ,
    Dakota - A Look at Life from a Deerstand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dakota! I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment. I did indeed stop by your page, and I look forward to seeing more from you. I love meeting new friends!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin