Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th this year was my birthday. I mentioned it the day before, but then I never came back to show you how blessed and spoiled I was the entire week! My husband took me out to eat several times, which was definitely spoiling me!


On my birthday, Wes took me out for breakfast, which is something we love to do. We were expecting our missionaries to get in that afternoon, so breakfast was our best option. Before we left the house, though, Wes gave me a gift: a Kindle Touch!



All year, I've been saying I wanted to go to a bakery on my birthday and get myself just one slice of cake. That would eliminate having a whole cake in the house for me to have to resist eating and then give in and eat it anyway. So after breakfast, Wes and I stopped at Sandrine, a French chocolate and pastry shop. I got a most delicious pastry called mille fueilles cake. The name means 1,000 layers, and it just about does have 1,000 layers of puff pastry with a light cream filling. It was delicious! Wes got a lemon meringue cake slice. We enjoyed our pieces of cake, and then we were done with it - no cake sitting around! I think this is our new birthday tradition!



The kids tried to send me flowers all weekend. They had a very bad experience with 1-800-Flowers. My flowers were supposed to be delivered on my birthday. They never came. Andrew called them Friday evening, and they promised the delivery for Saturday with a note of apology and 50% of his money back. Didn't happen. Sunday night he texted me that they had totally bombed his order and he was getting 100% of his money back. He was sending me an Amazon gift card instead. I'm so glad he got all of his money back! I wasn't concerned about the flowers as much as I was about our son getting ripped off! You mothers understand, I'm sure.

With my Amazon gift card I bought myself a cover for my Kindle. The cover has all the features I want - leather case, a sturdy inner frame to hold my Kindle, the ability to fold back the cover to hold my Kindle in one hand while I'm reading, and an elastic band to hold it closed when I'm not reading. Plus it was on sale for less than half price! It looks pink, but the color is listed as purple. I like it either way! ;)

I also bought a Bible for my Kindle with Torrey's Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, which is a fantastic study aid that allows you to cross-reference almost every verse in the Bible in order to compare Scripture with Scripture (the link to the TSK is free online). I'm still getting used to using it, but I like it so far. The TSK included in the Kindle Bible is not as useful as the one on the Blue Letter Bible app on my iPod, but it is a nice feature. By the way, if you need a really good Bible app, the BLB is the very best one I've tried, and it's free.
 

In addition to all those goodies, many friends wished me Happy Birthday on my Facebook page. It's always fun to hear from so many people at one time, and seeing their wishes makes me remember each person and the place they have in my life. I have very few friends on Facebook that I don't know "in real life" so each person is someone I know personally and who has had an impact on my life in some way.

The Malazos, the missionaries we hosted for our Missions Conference, brought me a candle when they came in. Wes had mentioned to Sandra on the phone that we would be out for my birthday the morning of the 13th. So she brought me a candle, like the sweet lady she is! One of our ladies from church also brought me a bundle of 24 roses early the next week, so I got flowers after all!

Finally, last Thursday I redeemed my coupon for a free birthday drink from Starbucks!

Wes teases me that I love my birthday more than anything, and I do get pretty excited about it. I absolutely love the fact that God has given me yet another year of life with my husband and children, another year to spend with so many friends, another year to be in the ministry. To me, it's the most amazing thing in the world to be given yet another year of life! I hope He sees fit to give me a bunch more, too! :)

Ok, if you've read this far you deserve an award! LOL Thank you so much for reading my blog; I appreciate each one of you!

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely day you had! Those cakes look simply amazing, and that's a great idea to buy just one slice so there is no leftover cake to tempt you. So glad you had such a wonderful birthday week! I was born on Friday the 13th (in a different month) and isn't it a blessing that, as believers, there is no "bad luck" associated with that day? Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, it's wonderful that there's no such thing as "bad luck" in a Christian's life! Although when I was younger, I didn't like that my birthday fell on Friday the 13th occasionally, it doesn't bother me anymore. Thank you for the birthday wishes!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful birthday in every way! So glad Andrew got his money back.

    I like that cake tradition when there are just two in the house! When I was pulling the "Cooking for 2" recipes from my collection to make into a separate notebook, I did find a couple of cakes for 6" pans, maybe for 4" as well -- I am thinking about asking for those at the next gift-giving occasion and trying them out. When there is a whole 9 x 13 sheet cake sitting there, it's very hard for me to keep my hands out of it!

    I love birthdays, too -- I can't imagine not celebrating them especially as we get older! Evey year is a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone else likes to celebrate birthdays too! LOL A little 4" cake would be about right, wouldn't it? I might see if I can find a small pan, although getting the slices at the bakery worked very well for us!

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday, I am useless keeping track of peoples birthdays.
    My hubby had his birthday on the 22 nd and he got a kindle, but the one with a small keyboard below. He also got an amazon voucher and spent it on a kindle case and a few downloads for the kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your husband like the Kindle with the keyboard? I specifically got the Touch because I like the touch screen and not having to bother with buttons! Happy Birthday to your husband!

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan! I loved this post...so much to comment on! Glad that you and Wes had good time out for your birthday breakfast. And the slice of cake...well, I can see your point in nothing being left over. But...I always ask for Peter Paul Mounds Cake for my birthday every year, and that's the only time I get it. Growing up my mom would make it for me once a year, and now Sarah has taken over the tradition. I just can't imagine only getting one piece. LOL! This summer I'll be celebrating #60...ackkkk!!!!! So I think a chocolate Peter Paul cake is a MUST!!! :) But, like you, I'm so very thankful I'm here to celebrate with my family.

    I'm glad, too, that Andrew got his money back!!! And looks like the Kindle and cover worked out well, too. I tell you, you are going all high-tech on me! I wonder if the BLB app would work on a smartphone and not just an ipod? I'd love to have a good bible app.

    i enjoyed reading all about your birthday! Sounds like you had a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Deb! That cake sounds SO delicious!!! I'd love to have a bite or two of it! ;) You definitely deserve it for your milestone birthday this year.

      I don't think BLB has an android app yet. From my limited knowledge of smart phones, I'm pretty sure you'd need something other than the iPhone app. You can look on their home page and scroll down on the left sidebar to their apps. See, I'm not so high tech after all! LOL

      Delete
  5. What a lovely birthday you had! Those cakes looked so YUMMY too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michele! The cakes were delicious - I'm thinking about taking each of the ladies in my church there for their birthdays for just a slice of cake!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin