Tuesday, March 13, 2012

This & That & FNSI

Spring 2
Photo by bowtoo

Hi! I hope you're having a good Tuesday. Can you believe that spring officially begins in just one more week? It doesn't feel much like spring here yet, since we had a bit of snow this morning. The temps are warmer here lately, but still not spring-like to me. We've lived in Canada for 7 years now, and I still expect March to be warm, due to my southern upbringing. It hasn't happened yet! I do miss that early warmth, but spring does eventually get here and all is well.

Our children are on Spring Break from college this week:

Sam is leading a tour group in the midwest this week. He posted on Facebook yesterday that he had just preached and people were being saved at that very moment. Upon thinking about it, I don't know why he was updating his FB page at that very moment, but anyway, people were getting saved, and that made me happy. He probably just sent a quick text through his iPad, which he uses to preach from.

Andrew has today completely off from work and school. He is a happy young man! I'm glad he has today completely off. He works hard, and I want him to enjoy this day to its fullest. He'll be working the rest of the week. That makes him happy too, because it gives him more money.

Beth is working 8 hours a day this week, except for Thursday, when she, Megan, and Lauren are taking a day trip to Santa Monica (I think - it's one of those Santa places in CA), with our permission, of course. She's always happy to be earning extra money, so working during Spring Break is fine with her.

My guitar lessons are cancelled for the 2 weeks of Spring Break here. I'm really happy about that, because my teacher gave me lots of new chords to learn, and honestly, I am struggling with them. I'm very happy to have an extra 2 weeks to practice them! My teacher says I'm doing fine and making progress, but I don't feel like I am. It's been 35 years since I was a beginner on an instrument, and it seems like it's going to take another 35 years for me to learn this one!

Did I tell you that Wes is taking banjo lessons?! He is! 

Friday Night Sew-In is this Friday, the 16th, hosted by Handmade by Heidi. I get to play again this month! I was afraid it would be the 23rd, when our teens are having a campout. Wes and I are going to join them that evening for Wes to preach.


Handmade by Heidi


For the FNSI, I plan to work on something Christmasy. I have some Christmas scraps that I got at a local quilt shop sale that I want to make into a quilt following the Canton Village Quilt Works Block of the Month (which is already in month six!). I'm considering making 2 quilts at the same time, but not sure yet.

Or I may make some pillowcases as Christmas gifts. I'm considering making them to give to our bus kids. Is that a good idea? Would kids like pillow cases? I'll need to make about 60 by December. I'll decide which project I'll work on between now and Friday and let you know.

Come and join me in sewing! Just sign up at Handmade By Heidi and be entered to win some prizes over the weekend. Last month, a few of you let me know you were sewing that day too, and it was fun knowing that we were sewing "together," even if we're thousands of miles and a time zone or two apart!

8 comments:

  1. Susan ~ thanks for mentioning the Friday night sew-in again. I think yours is the only blog I read that participates so I appreciate being reminded. I want to participate again this month and hope to...I do have a trip over the mountain to Charlottesville all day on Friday, so I think it will depend on how I'm feeling. I'm working on a quilt for a friend's b'day...and I'm waiting for cupcake fabric to arrive. I'm making Sarah a quilt for her Sweets booth at farmer's market.

    Yes, it's VERY nice here in VA this week. I'm headed outside to work in the yard as soon as i check my morning blogs. :) Hope your day is good, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can participate, Deb! Enjoy your day Friday. I love seeing all the quilts you make - they're always beautiful! I'm so interested in your girls' booth for this summer. I pray the Lord will bless their work! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like Andrew and Beth are having a good combination of fun and work. It's neat that God is using Sam in that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they're working AND getting to have some fun. Another thing we love about WCBC is their balance, teaching the kids to work hard, but also giving them time to have fun. Sam is happy as a clam to be traveling and preaching this week. He loves preaching, which is good, since that's what God has called him to do! LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh, I would love to join in on the Friday Night Sew-In. So often, though, my hubby likes me to spend time with him in the evenings, (and he isn't computer-savvy, so that wouldn't, to him, be a way to spend time together, with him at the computer and me at the sewing machine. Were he at the computer, I would need to be tutoring him!). And I must say too that because he works long hours away from home, that truly time spent with him is more important to me than time spent sewing. But, if it ever works out that he has other plans on a Friday night when a sew-in is planned, you can be sure I will sign up!

    Concerning your gift idea for the bus kids, I think for you to make them each a pillowcase of their own (likely personalized in some small way) would be very special indeed. Something they might well treasure for years.

    Have fun sewing tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. T, I feel the same way you do. If Wes had something for us to do together, I'd not be doing the FNSI! We usually have our weekly "date" on Friday morning, so Friday nights are free for us. He likes to play games on his computer, so he does that while I sew in the same room.

      Thanks for the personalization idea for the pillowcases! One of my friends has an embroidery machine, and she is also my helper in my class, so she has an interest in doing them. We'll see how this works out!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that the kids are doing so well! I'm sure you miss them something terrible:)

    In March we also expect spring to arrive.... after 5 years, you'd think we'd get it. It should arrive around May here in the Mountains of Alberta! However, I'm looking forward to spending the month of April in warm, sunny Florida and Alabama. Hopefully, I'll come back home to spring:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kristy! I do miss them, but it's not as bad as I had once thought it would be! ;) Enjoy your trip to Alabama!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin