We use these plastic bins to carry our groceries. Last week, Wes told me to buy steaks at the store, so being the obedient wife I am, I did that. And a small package of cooked shrimp. Both of which he cooked for me that night! It was delicious, and I didn't even have to cook it.
On the way home, the steak package leaked into the bin. I noticed it as I was putting away the groceries, and I even said something to the effect of, "Oh, great! Now I have to wash that bin." Wes was helping me put things away, and he heard me say that, but in the rush of putting groceries away and starting supper, we both forgot about the blood in the bin. To further help me, Wes put away the bins, which nest inside each other for storage.
Both of us promptly forgot the blood in that bin.
This morning, I was getting ready to go to the store again. I walked into the laundry room and pulled the bins from the shelf.
That's when I remembered the blood.
I really hoped it would be in the top bin and had dried up and crusted. That would have been plenty disgusting. No such luck. Those juices were sealed in that bottom bin all week. In the laundry room. Where it stays nice and humid and warm.
I didn't want to, but I had to.
I lifted up that top bin. It was bad. I won't give you the nauseating details. Just suffice it to say I took a little cleaning and deodorizing and bleaching detour before I left for the store.
Both bins are sparkling clean now, and no harm done.
Maybe I'll go back to using cloth bags.