Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Not-So-Excellent Adventure


We use these plastic bins to carry our groceries. Last week, Wes told me to buy steaks at the store, so being the obedient wife I am, I did that. And a small package of cooked shrimp. Both of which he cooked for me that night! It was delicious, and I didn't even have to cook it.


On the way home, the steak package leaked into the bin. I noticed it as I was putting away the groceries, and I even said something to the effect of, "Oh, great! Now I have to wash that bin." Wes was helping me put things away, and he heard me say that, but in the rush of putting groceries away and starting supper, we both forgot about the blood in the bin. To further help me, Wes put away the bins, which nest inside each other for storage.

Both of us promptly forgot the blood in that bin.

This morning, I was getting ready to go to the store again. I walked into the laundry room and pulled the bins from the shelf.

That's when I remembered the blood.

I really hoped it would be in the top bin and had dried up and crusted. That would have been plenty disgusting. No such luck. Those juices were sealed in that bottom bin all week. In the laundry room. Where it stays nice and humid and warm.

I didn't want to, but I had to.

I lifted up that top bin. It was bad. I won't give you the nauseating details. Just suffice it to say I took a little cleaning and deodorizing and bleaching detour before I left for the store.

Both bins are sparkling clean now, and no harm done.

Maybe I'll go back to using cloth bags.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Susan, My name is Sandy and I live in U.S. near a small city called Buffalo, NY. I read your comment about forgetting the blood in the bins and how you said maybe you will go back to cloth bags and I thought why? The plastic bins caught the blood the cloth bags would not have. Just my opinion, hope it helps! LOLIJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandy! Yes, the bins did catch the blood. The whole entry was meant to make fun of myself, and the cloth bag comment was kind of tongue-in-cheek! LOL I have had blood drip in a cloth bag before, though, and I just tossed it in the washer. Six of one, half dozen of the other. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)

      Delete
  2. eeeeeeuuww...I'm really not sure how to spell that, but I'm sure you know what I mean!! aside from that...I love the 'bin shoppin' bin...I have one just like it. Have a great weekend...hope you're getting the same beautiful weather we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! :) We love our bins - we have 3 - and use them for all sorts of things. We have been gradually warming up, but this morning we had snow. None of it stuck, and now the sun is peeking out. I am SO ready for some sun!

      Delete
  3. Ugh! You have a stronger stomach than I do, Susan! Those types of jobs definitely get delegated to someone else in the family. Or else they'd be cleaning up after me, too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I do have a pretty strong stomach for that type of thing. I've always done all the cleaning up of messy stuff like that, especially when the kids were little and would get sick during the night. I had the stomach for it, but I hated it! LOL

      Delete
  4. You're tougher than I am. I'm a retired nurse, and even during my career there were some jobs that I'd trade doing anything else in order to avoid lol. Some of us can do certain things, others do other things. That keeps us even - right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Teresa! LOL I used to want to be a nurse, but now? I couldn't handle much of what comes through a hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh!!! I can only imagine the job it was to clean that up....and the smell had to be *terrible*! You are a brave woman, LOL! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it wasn't that bad as far as how much of the blood there was; it was definitely the smell that was the worst!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin