Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday Ministry Highlights: Children's Church

I've mentioned before that we run our buses on Wednesday night. We divide the riders into K-5 and 1st graders, 2nd-6th graders, and teens. Several months ago, my husband sent me to work with the K-5 and 1st graders as a helper, but within a few weeks he asked me to begin teaching that class while the young woman who taught that class took a break.

This was "a cookie!"
It's not easy to teach a class of children so young and so inexperienced in church and spiritual matters! They've never heard a lot of the Bible stories we teach, and character training is not very strong in their homes or at school. They are steeped in the world's philosophies through television, public school, and North American culture.


One of the cutter sets we have is this place setting. The little girls love to make the plates with food and cutlery.
As I teach each week, I'm trying to ground them in very basic Bible doctrine, such as who God is and what the Bible is. We've begun learning memory verses, and I try to use a mix of fun songs and songs that teach some simple Bible messages. The Bible lessons are simple stories that many of us have known all our lives, and I'm trying to tell them simply and relate them to their lives today.


Little boys love to make "roads" for their cars and trucks.
Many weeks I want to quit when class is over. Some of the little boys, especially, are hard to deal with. Some weeks, though, class is good. I'm finding that planning my class to the tiniest detail and keeping a tight schedule and lots of activity help keep the children occupied so they don't have as much time to get themselves into trouble or worked up over things like someone touching them! ;) My helper is my lifeline; I couldn't keep order at all without her help!


This is my youngest student, not yet 5. She's so cute and just loves coming on the bus!
My class's favorite thing to do is at the end of class: play dough time! They love playing with play dough, and they make some very creative things. That's when we can let them loosen up a little, and that's when I'm trying to build some relationships with them, walking around and commenting on their creations. The pictures in this post are from our play dough time last Wednesday night.


   
This guy brought his homemade space station (on the left) which contained the astronauts reclining on their sleeping bags under the "Golden Arch." He'd won a gift certificate to the famous arches on the way to church, so that made it into his creation.
I'm beginning to see a glimmer of understanding in the eyes of some these children as I'm teaching about why Jesus was born and died. With Easter coming up in a few weeks, I'm starting Easter lessons this week to lead up to the Resurrection the Wednesday night before Easter. Please pray for these little guys and girls if the Lord brings them to mind in the next few days. I'd love nothing more than to see some of them saved during this Easter season!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for working with those children, Susan! It is not an easy class for sure. Despite the hectic atmosphere, I enjoyed helping that week! Praying for those little souls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for helping, Angela! And for praying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just sharing with our Sunday afternoon bus class workers Matthew 25:40 "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." As well as James 1:27. I really believe that children's ministry, and especially bus ministry, is one of the most pure and rewarding forms of ministry. Bus ministry really is ministering to the "least of these" and lately it has really hit me how awesome it is to be able to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing and reading your thoughts as you learn the ministry first-hand now, Andrew! I love to see how the Lord is using you to reach children, which is something I've watched develop in you for many years. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin