Saturday, March 10, 2012

Manic Monday

 RI - Newport: Seamen's Church Institute
Photo credit: wallyg

Last Monday was a wild day.

Pastor Gordon Conner, who originally sponsored us into Canada, and his son, Paul, were coming through here on their way to Vernon for the pastors' luncheon on Tuesday with Bro. Jessup. Wes had been in touch with him and knew they were coming, so he invited them to dinner on Monday evening. That's when I'd cook the big roast that I couldn't cook for dinner on Sunday!

Sunday night Wes got an email that Pastor Conner couldn't make it for dinner on Monday. So no roast.

Wes mentioned to him, though, that he (Wes) was now going to miss out on having roast on a weekday because Pastor Conner wasn't coming. So he (Pastor Conner) decided to come after all. Because roast sounded better than a burger on the run, right?

So we cleaned up the house and I put the roast in the crockpot.

Monday afternoon we got a call from Pastor Conner.

The main road over the mountains from Vancouver was closed for avalanche control, and the other way to get here had whiteout conditions. And he had no snow tires. He couldn't get here, so he had to turn around and go back to Vancouver.

So now we have this huge roast and just the two of us to eat it. I boiled and mashed four small potatoes, fixed two servings of frozen green beans, and sliced a couple of rolls in half and broiled them with butter. Just enough for the two of us!

The phone rang.

Pastor Greg Boyle, who was with us in February for our Family Conference, was on the line. He asked if we could get the college basketball games on our TV. We could not, but we could watch them online. Why? Wes wanted to know. Turns out that Bro. Boyle was sitting outside our apartment building with his two sons-in-law, and they wanted to watch their favorite team play. So we invited them in (what else could we do?!), found the game and hooked the computer up to our TV.

And we asked them to eat with us.


Yes. Four little potatoes, two servings of green beans, and little slices of broiled toast. And a huge roast.

They sat down with us, and we each took a little.

I want you to know that I had leftovers. Not just roast; I had green beans and potatoes left over. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen!

And they ate the rest of that German chocolate cake too!

I learned all over again that hospitality often means flexibility and the willingness to just share what you have. The Lord will work out the rest.

6 comments:

  1. I commend you for that flexibility! I have to confess that my head would be a little rattled after that, but it is neat how the Lord worked it all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning flexibility! :) I was a bit rattled at first, and my husband did murmur something about not killing him in front of guests . . . but it all worked out!

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan, I've been back blogging this year after some time off.
    I loved reading your story as it reminded me of the bread and fish the Lord multiplied to feed thousands. :)
    Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sharon! Welcome back to the blogging world! It reminded me of the Lord feeding the thousands, especially when I saw **leftovers** from such small portions! LOL

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan ~ great story! I loved the whole idea of company, no company, switching food, and ending up having guests after all! It's the good stuff adventures are made of! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an adventure! LOL We are contemplating a trip to Spokane to sit in front of Pastor Boyle's house and call him . . . ;)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin