Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Start of Something New

I've played the piano since I was 11 years old. I wasn't classically trained; I had just enough training to get me started reading notes and just developed my own style through the years. Although the piano is my first love, for several years now I've wanted to learn a new instrument. For the longest time I wanted to learn the flute. Then I considered the violin. During Christmas, though, I heard some carols played on classical guitar. I was lying in bed, listening and thinking that I wished someone in my family played classical guitar so they could play for me. Then I realized that I could learn classical guitar and play it myself! I never dreamed I'd be able to do it anytime soon, but I didn't know what my husband had up his sleeve!

Source: google.com via Nancy on Pinterest




Last week, Wes took me to the local music store and signed me up for 2 months of guitar lessons and a 2-month rental of a classical guitar! I couldn't believe it! The 2 months thing is a trial period to see how I like it, and after that I can continue if I'd like to. The rental costs will be applied to the cost of the guitar if I should want to buy it (which I probably will).
Source: google.ca via Iris on Pinterest

My first lesson was yesterday. I was SO incredibly nervous! I haven't taken music lessons of any kind in over 30 years, and this was an entirely new instrument for me. You know how music stores are, too: lots of drums and rock & roll and all that stuff. I was a little scared that my teacher would be the rockin'-out type of guy, because we met his brother while we were in the store, and he had several silver hoops in each ear and long hair and a goatee. But my teacher is clean-cut and clean-shaven, with no earrings or obvious piercings - totally different from his brother! He was super kind and encouraging, and I found that I had nothing to worry about. I also found that my piano training, although not the strongest in theory and classical music, is a great asset now in learning another instrument. I don't have to learn all those beginning things and can concentrate on learning my instrument.


I'm excited to be starting this new chapter in my life! My goal is to play for church, in special music and offertories and such as that. I'll let you know how it goes!

14 comments:

  1. Hope your lessons go good. Strange, but I have
    always wanted to play the dulcimer.I have played the piano since I was a teenager. I like the banjo, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend here who plays the mountain dulcimer, and my mom's mother played too. It's very soothing, I think. And speaking of the banjo, Wes is taking banjo lessons! He likes the sound, so he's going for it!

      Delete
  2. That's great Susan! How exciting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it! I can't wait till I can actually play something smoothly, without having to think so hard about it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan ~ you know...I was reading this post on google reader when I started thinking, "wait a minute, didn't I click on By Grace?" So I looked back over to my reader list to see and lo and behold...it's true, it was your blog! You're going to be a guitar player!!! Way to go! How exciting! LOL! I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you surprised?! I'm still a little bit surprised myself! ;)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations. I have wanted to learn to play guitar since I was a kid, but have never taken the time to learn. I hope you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Raine! You should see if there's a way you can take some lessons. I was so surprised when I found out I could rent the guitar and only have to commit to 2 months of lessons. There are tons of videos and tutorials online, too. I'm using those to supplement what I'm learning from my teacher. Go for it!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad for you Ms Susan, and, as I said earlier, a little envious. I do love to hear the hymns played on a classical guitar. I have settled into more of a soft or light bluegrass style myself. I still have to strum and play rhythm while singing, but I like to break out into a flat pick break between verses. I am taking lessons from Banjo Ben Clark on line. He only charges $5 per month to have full access to his material. He teaches mandolin, banjo and guitar. He is from Kilgore, TX and was raised independent baptist. He has a ton of gospel material complete with videos and tabs for all three instruments. I think Wes would really like him if he hasn't already checked him out. He can go to the website www.banjobenclark.com and check out his free stuff to see if he would like it. I've already learned more from him in about 6 months than I've learned in the past 15 years or so. He also teaches theory in bite sized pieces. I'm just too lazy or undisciplined to learn that part of it. Anyway, enjoyed your blog. Hope this info is helpful in some way to you or Bro. Wes. Yall take care. Bro. james

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Wes about the site you mentioned. He enjoyed his first lesson today. He is practicing rolls right this minute!

      Delete
  6. I've been taking lessons online from www.banjobenclark.com He is an amazing teacher. He plays mandolin, banjo and guitar. Bro. Wes would probably like him. He has a ton of gospel stuff. It only cost $5 per month to have unlimited access to all of his stuff but he can do some free stuff just to check it out. He is from Kilgore, TX and was raised independent baptist. He had classical piano training as a kid and is an absolutely amazing guitarist, banjo and mandolin player. Hope this is some info yall can use. enjoyed your blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, my husband plays classical guitar, and I absolutely love to listen to him play. I tried to learn a long time ago, but it was on a guitar with steel strings, and does that ever hurt! I wimped out. Does your guitar have nylon strings? Right now, I'm dusting off the piano lessons I've had so I can play for church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sarah, lucky you! :) A classical guitar does have nylon strings. Hop back on that piano. The more you play, the more you learn, and the better you get!

      Delete
  8. How exciting! That's neat that you can try it for a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin