Monday, February 13, 2012

A More Thorough Account


I haven't updated you on Kim Boling since last week. Her husband started a Care Page for her, and there he told the story of last week and is posting updates on her condition. She has been diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, which is what we commonly hear of as the flesh-eating bacteria. She went into the hospital last Sunday night with pain in her side, which she assumed was a pulled muscle. As they were doing a CT scan, they noticed an area in her abdomen that looked like blood. Her kidney counts were also high, so they admitted her to monitor her kidney function. By Monday morning, they had decided that the spot in her abdomen was not blood, but an infection, and they began to suspect the necrotizing fasciitis. They had already begun antibiotics, and they put Kim in ICU, where she was put on a ventilator because she couldn't breathe. When they realized what was wrong, they began doing surgery, which is the only cure for this disease because it is resistant to antibiotics. They did surgery on her for 4 straight days, but the infection was spreading faster than they could keep up with it. So on Saturday they decided to stop surgery, as her body couldn't withstand the trauma of any more surgeries. They have removed significant amounts of skin and tissue in her left thigh, left arm, and left chest cavity. She is now in a hospital in Tulsa, OK, where there is a burn unit to care for her
surgical wounds.


When Kim went in the hospital and the doctors realized what she had, her husband was told there was an 80% chance of mortality. She now has a greater chance of death, but she has fought for two more days after the decision to do nothing more. We are praying that God will stem the infection, heal her organs, and bring her someday to a full recovery. There's only a slim chance of that, of course, but we know the Great Physician!


Kim's husband and parents have been a shining example of how saved people should deal with such a tragedy. Her husband, Michael, says he loves her more than anything, but he knows God loves her more and will do what is best for her. Her father, Pastor Claud Slate, said they gave their baby girl to God the day she was born, and they haven't taken her back, even if it means death. That statement broke my heart. We gave our children to God when they were born, but I've always thought that the worst would be that they would be serving God in some foreign country, far away from me. I had never even considered that God's plan might include their death. I had to do some soul-searching on that one!


All that to ask you to please continue to pray for Kim and her family. We haven't seen any updates on her condition since Saturday night, so I'm hoping that each day she lives gives her more of a chance for survival: maybe the infection is slowing, some healing is beginning. I don't know how this disease works, so I don't know if I"m being realistic or not. But we continue to pray!

Thank you all so much for your prayers! Kim's mother stopped by my Facebook page last night and left this message: "Want to say to all of you wonderful people praying for our precious daughter a big Thank You. We know out God will get and is getting Glory no matter what. He's always good and He's always Right !" So consider yourself thanked by Kim's family as well as by me! :)

7 comments:

  1. I've been praying for her and her family this whole time. I can't imagine what they are going through-praying for grace, and of course, a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praying, Sarah! I can't imagine going through something like this, especially because it is so sudden.

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan,

    Thanks so much for this more thorough account. I had been wondering how I missed finding out what the problem was to begin with. From what you had said I sort of guessed it was something like this. What a difficult thing -- but nothing is too hard for the Lord. We are praying for Kim and all of her family at this time. Thanks for making us aware of this prayer need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The family didn't say the exact diagnosis until they started the Care Page, and although I suspected this is what Kim had, I didn't want to jump ahead of what the family was saying publicly. I try to protect the privacy and wishes of those for whom I ask prayer. Thank you for praying with us!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the update Susan. I've been praying for Kim and her family. I keep up with CarePages for two other folks who need prayer, so maybe I'm on the list now, too, to get Kim's updates whenever something is posted. I am praying for good news and healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. News tonight from Mike is that more trouble is developing, with more signs of infection and some problems with her liver. Medically speaking, it's not looking good, but we continue to pray for healing! Thank you for praying with us!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Susan. Our family is still praying.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin