Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Laura Ingalls Wilder Reading Challenge



My friend Barbara of Stray Thoughts is hosting the Laura Ingalls Wilder Reading Challenge this month. Participants are reading anything written by or about Laura Ingalls Wilder and sharing their thoughts on the works throughout the month. I've been reading about Barbara's challenge the past couple of months, but didn't think seriously about joining in until yesterday, when the challenge started. Then I got interested and decided I wanted to participate too. That seems to be the way I roll!

I have never read the entire series of Little House books, so my goal for this month is to read at least the first three books: Little House in the Big Woods , Farmer Boy , and Little House on the Prairie .

I checked my library's collection for books related to the Little House books. I requested two books that looked interesting: My Little House Crafts Book: 18 Projects from Laura Ingalls Wilder's and On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894. The first one is a book filled with crafts taken straight from the pages of The Complete Little House Nine-Book Set. I'm looking forward to that; I enjoy seeing crafts from earlier times. The second one is Laura's diary of her trip from DeSmet, SD, to Mansfield, MO, after she and Almanzo were married. I thought that would be interesting, as it contains her actual diary entries from that trip. So I'm adding those two books to my reading, for a total of five books this month. Can I do it? We'll see!

If you'd like to join in the challenge, pop over to Barbara's introductory post. I think this will be fun!

10 comments:

  1. So excited to have you join the challenge! I would love to look into that craft book. I just learned of On the Way Home several days ago. I'd love to read it osme time but I don't think I'll be able to fit it in this month. I'll look forward to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm able to fit it all in! LOL I'm thinking about trying to make a couple of the crafts, if they seem quick enough to fit into the month.

      Delete
  2. BTW, wish I could help with the box -- I am way out of my league with such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, Barbara! It does fine in my sidebar, which is where I want it to look good. I tried and tried to get it right in the post; finally I just let it go.

      Delete
  3. My Beth just read the series and has been asking me to read too! So, I'll join you with Little House in the Big Woods Farmer Boy, and Little House on the Prairie! When is your hope to finish by?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenge runs through Feb. 29th. Plenty of time! If you'd like, you can join in on Barbara's blog and post your progress on your blog, but that's not necessary. You can just read along if you want! I'm glad you're reading with me!

      Delete
  4. And how did you make it so you can reply to comments on your blog? So neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this feature! It's a new one for Blogger. Go into your Design page, then click on Settings at the bottom of the left sidebar. Under Settings, click on Posts and Comments. On that page, under Comments, select Embedded next to Comment Location. You also have to set your Blog Feed to Full, found under the Other options in your Settings tab. Clear as mud? If you have trouble, look up 'threaded comments' on Help.

      Delete
  5. Interested in Almanzo Wilder? Read:
    http://www.americanpopularculture.com/archive/bestsellers/almanzo.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the link, Wayne. I checked it out, and although it was a long article, I read a bit of it. Interesting reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin