Saturday, February 18, 2012

Friday Night Sewing

A soft snowfall made for a nice, cozy sewing time for the Friday Night Sew-In last night. Wes played a game on the computer while I sewed, so we were both happy! He doesn't play games too often, so that was as much a treat for him as the sewing time was for me. Added bonus: we were in the same room. Office and craft room combined. We're kinda liking this empty nest thing! :)

This is what I began with: two of three strips of the top pinned together, ready to sew, with the third strip still waiting, hanging over the chair. This is the Vintage Rose pattern by Debbie Mumm, which I'm making for a gift.


After spending three hours sewing, the top is finally finished! It felt SO good to finally get this top done! I love the borders. And I'm surprised at how big it turned out. I thought it was more of a wall-hanging size, but it's actually a lap quilt. Now I just have to practice some free-motion quilting. Any suggestions on what quilting patterns to use? All I've ever done are straight lines, in-the-ditch, and some very limited following of traced lines with my walking foot. I haven't ventured into FMQ yet, although it's something I've been talking about for over a year a LONG time!



Reporting in for the Friday Night Sew-In at Handmade By Heidi and joining Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? Thanks for hosting the motivation to get things done, ladies!


Handmade by Heidi



17 comments:

  1. Very pretty Susan! Its nice that you were able to finish the top. Would love to have some snow to sew with! Can you believe it was almost 70 degrees here today? I worked outside cleaning out some flower beds, wearing no jacket. Now I'm going to get a bath and then do some more quilting. I am so ready to finish that Jacob's Ladder quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to have some 70 degree weather! We haven't had a cold winter at all, but it's been very gray (normal for here) and foggy. I'm ready for sunshine! I can't wait to see your Jacob's Ladder finished!

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ava! I'm getting excited about it!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't help you with the quilting (unless you want to free motion by hand teehee) but I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt, Susan! I really like that pattern!!

    And as far as FMQ designs, you might check out Christina's blog over at A Few Scraps - she did a FMQ tutorial series and has some great designs, also info about how to set up your machine and other important stuff!

    Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah, for your kind compliment and for the link to Christina's blog. I have another FMQ tutorial bookmarked that I need to just sit down and work through. I will look at Christina's too; you can never have too much teaching!

      Delete
  6. hello - I am visiting via FNSI list.. your quilt is just beautiful.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fiona, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Pretty quilt! We had a rainy weekend so I had a cozy time doing a little sewing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to get my best sewing done when it's raining or snowing. Glad you had a cozy time!

      Delete
  8. How beautiful, Susan! Sometime I would love to do some "Friday Night Sewing" but seldom get to the computer/sewing room on Friday nights. And yes -- the empty nest has its blessings! Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. T, this particular challenge happens around the third Friday night each month. That's usually the only Friday night sewing I get done, because my husband and I like to spend that evening together. Which we were this past Friday anyway! :)

      Delete
  9. This is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin