Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Getting Back to Normal

Sigh. Beth went home January 6th. The boys arrived on the 9th, then left yesterday. That was a whirlwind of a week, let me tell you! We did our normal life on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - ladies' fellowship, bus calling, church - but then on Thursday we began a marathon round of The Settlers of Catan. If you've never heard of it, it's a board game of strategy similar to Risk, but settling an island rather than conquering the world. I stink at strategy. But I loved this game - and my boys - so I played it with them and Wes. When one of them would ask why I made a certain move, I usually didn't know. I just moved 'cause it was my turn to move. So, anyway, out of 10 games of Settlers, I won two, one of which was the first game we played, when Sam and Andrew were helping me each step of the way. I don't know how I won the other game. Andrew won most of the other games; Samuel didn't win any and Wes won two, I think.

All that to say: now life is getting back to normal, whatever that is. It's amazing how quickly Wes and I adjusted to our empty nest, which has become our norm.

One new thing in my life is teaching a preschool class on Wednesday nights. I've mentioned before that we run our buses on Wednesday nights. The teachers for that preschool class were two college-age young ladies when we started the new bus program. One of them went back to college last semester, leaving the other one alone in the class. With 15 little guys and gals. So my husband asked me to help her. Then he thought, to give her a break, I could teach for the first quarter of 2012. At first I didn't want to. Believe it or not, this is a tough little group of kiddos! Many of them come from homes where they aren't required to obey and they are allowed to speak and do just as they please. Nevertheless, I agreed to teach the class. I began on January 4th . . . and it's been fun! I'm a pretty strong leader when leadership is thrust upon me, and they seem to rally around leadership, be it an adult's or their own. There are still two or three little troublemakers, but overall, they are turning out to be a good group of children . . . and I enjoy being back to teaching.

I've been working off and on to get things back to normal on the blog. I like to write ahead and schedule my entries to post automatically, but there hasn't been time for that for about a month. I hope to get my writing back on track this week. I also have several sewing/quilting projects I want to do this year, the first of which I began yesterday afternoon, and I want to share them with you as I go. And I have a book list I'm working on, for the first time ever; I plan to make my reading list a tab at the top of the page. I just can't decide if I want to add to the list throughout the year as I finish books, or go ahead and make the list for the entire year, at least as it stands right now.

So those are a few new things for this new year. I feel like I didn't really start my new year until yesterday, since our Christmas was extended into January with the kids' visits. I'm ready for my new year and excited about all the things coming up!

Have a great day, and I'll see you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I felt like we started New Year's about a week late, too. So glad you were able to visit with all the kids, even though not all at the same time. I enjoy Catan when we play and learn a little more each time, but everyone else is still better at it than I am. I enjoy Seafarers of Catan, too. You can build sail ships there as well as build roads, and there's a pirate as well as a robber. Jason and Mittu got two more Catan games at Christmas (one has knights, and I forget the other one) and keep wanting to add more elements. but I feel like I need to get a handle on the basics first, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara ~ There are so many add-ons for Catan! I'm like you, though; I want to master the original before I start adding on new things. It's fun, though, and I do learn new things each time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin