Monday, December 19, 2011

The Week in Words

 
 
Welcome to The Week In Words, where we share quotes from the last week’s reading. If something you read this past week  inspired you, caused you to laugh, cry, think, dream, or just resonated with you in some way, please share it with us, attributing it to its source, which can be a book, newspaper, blog, Facebook — anything that you read.
From Smockity Frocks' Facebook status . . .
"Rubs me the wrong way: "That child is ___ because he is homeschooled." FYI: There are shy/obnoxious/rude/nervous/silly/awkward children the world around who are schooled in a variety of ways. Homeschooling doesn't make children (fill in personality trait)."
So true! So many people see faults with homeschooling where there are none. It would be good to remember that there are problems, quirks, and problems among all groups of people, not just homeschoolers. This is true of every group of people.
From friends' Facebook pages . . . 
"Knowing how it feels when those we love and care about let us down should make us think twice before doing things ourselves. Will this ruin my good name/testimony? How many others will be hurt/disappointed? Will my lost friends still see "Jesus in me"?
This spoke volumes to me about considering the consequences of our actions before we do them.
 "Out of 100 men, one will read the Bible, the other 99 will read the Christian." ~ D.L. Moody
Another sobering reminder that our actions are important!
  This one, also from a friend, made me chuckle . . .
“Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart.” ― Erma Bombeck

2 comments:

  1. The first one is a good reminder. People can stereotype any particular group and assign characteristics they see in one to the whole, which is not wise.

    The second is as well. I've been convicted lately that even things I do when all alone are being observed -- Ephesians 3:10 says, "To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God." I can get really frustrated at little things, like when I'm in a hurry trying to clean up the kitchen to start dinner and I take the recycling out to the garage, toss it in the bins from the door, and then one bounces out. So then I have to go down a couple of steps into the garage, pick it up, and toss it in again, and sometimes it's satisfying to release that frustration by banging it in there with all my strength. Which of course makes it bounce out even farther. I used to think as long as the kids weren't around to see my display of bad temper, it was ok. But that verse convicted me, as well as the fact that giving vent to temper while I am alone makes it all the harder to rein it in while with others. And it's certainly a disappointment to my heavenly Father as well.

    Forgive me if I have already said this recently -- it seems like I have but I don't remember where! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never noticed that verse in this context, Barbara! I totally understand where you're coming from on the temper thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin