Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday Ministry Highlights: Songfest

October had five Sundays in it, in case you hadn't noticed! ;) My husband likes to do something special at church on the last Sunday night of each month that has five Sundays in it. This month we had a Songfest, during which anyone who wants to sing can do so. It doesn't have to be polished (although practiced would be nice!) and it doesn't have to be a "special" song: it can simply be something from the hymnbook.

We had about five or six groups sing last night. A couple of groups were families. Three sisters and their friend sang, and then a dad and several of his children sang a hymn. This was quite the accomplishment for one of the little girls; she is shy and kept turning toward her dad to try and hide. I was proud of her for staying up there and singing when she was so shy and scared! Another group was comprised of various members of several families (did that make sense?!) singing a medley of hymns about Heaven. Our youth group sang, as well as all the children in our church.

My favorite part was getting to choose our favorite songs as our congregational songs for the night. My all-time favorite hymn is Grace Greater Than All Our Sin, but someone else chose that before I had the chance! So I chose My Faith Has Found a Resting Place. When requesting our song, we had to give a testimony about why it's our favorite. The reason I love that hymn is because, after years of doubting my salvation, my faith found a resting place 18 years ago, when I finally quit trying to be saved and simply trusted Christ to do it for me!

After the songs were finished our youth director preached a message about God's Principles for Music. He does a great job preaching, and Wes never even has to twist his arm to get him to preach!;)

After the service we had a potluck of sandwiches, chips, veggie and fruit trays, and of course, desserts! Our people enjoy fellowship so much that we usually have to turn off the lights to get them to go home. Last night was no exception, and everyone helped out with cleaning up and putting our basement rooms back in order. We have removable walls to make classrooms, which we take down when we're having a fellowship, so the walls had to be returned for Wednesday night, when we run our bus route and have classes down there. By the way, the past two Wednesday nights we've had 49 and 48 children ride the bus, and this week we're pushing for 50! The Lord has really blessed our Wednesday night program!

I'm so glad we have people willing and excited to serve the Lord by singing during our services! It's also good to hear people's favorite hymns and know exactly why they like the ones they do. I don't know if anyone else was blessed by the service, but I sure was. Music is such a sweet gift from the Lord! I've included the words below from the hymn I chose tonight. I love the old hymns! Have a good week!

I just wish I'd remembered to take the camera!



My Faith Has Found a Resting Place

My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.

Refrain
I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.

Enough for me that Jesus saves,
This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him,
He’ll never cast me out.

Refrain

My heart is leaning on the Word,
The living Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior’s Name,
Salvation through His blood.

Refrain

My great Physician heals the sick,
The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed,
For me His life He gave.

Refrain

1 comment:

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin